iPhone 7 and 7 Plus camera help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vtxdig, Sep 30, 2016.

1. vtxdig macrumors member

vtxdig

hello, question. I have both the 7 and he 7 plus. Never had this issue before. When taking a photo of something moving it is coming out blurry. For example, someone waving their hand, picture is clear but hand is a blur. Never had this on my iPhone 6.
    Am I missing a setting? Can someone see if their camera/photos are the same.
    Thanks for any help.

2. anopy1 macrumors member

Yes! Same here! I have lots of blurry photos. 7 plus here. I had 6s before without these issues.

3. vtxdig thread starter macrumors member

vtxdig

4. phixionalninja macrumors regular

You both moved from phones without optical image stabilization to phones with OIS. From what I've seen, the camera app always chooses to use a lower ISO/slower shutter speed when it can, and OIS allows it to go with significantly slower shutter speeds. That's great for static subjects, because you'll get much cleaner photos (less noise). Unfortunately, if you have a moving subject the camera app doesn't give you any way to sacrifice image quality for shutter speed. I know there are third party camera apps that allow for more control, but I can't speak to any current options.

5. anopy1 macrumors member

6. mfldmike macrumors regular

7. vtxdig thread starter macrumors member

vtxdig

Exactly!!
    I didn't know about OIS. I do not like this.
    I tried just now Camera+ app. No better.

8. anopy1 macrumors member

It's off

9. vtxdig thread starter macrumors member

vtxdig

I tried that. I will try again. Thanks

10. phixionalninja, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

phixionalninja macrumors regular

How exactly did you use Camera+? That's the one I've used previously, and it seems like manually setting a fast shutter speed should get you the results you're looking for.

EDIT: here's a really simple example from Camera+ (obviously pushing a phone sensor to ISO1600 is... not optimal). I was waving my hand fast enough that even 1/350s didn't fully stop the motion, but you can see what I'm talking about at least.
    1/7s, ISO100
    [​IMG]

1/350s, ISO1600
    [​IMG]

11. vtxdig thread starter macrumors member

vtxdig

This is what i found on web... So does it have OIS or no?

Both the 7 and 7 Plus now have an optical image stabilizer; previously that was only available on the 6s Plus. Optical image stabilization lets the internal lens float slightly to compensate for hand shake, allowing for longer exposures without blurring.

12. phixionalninja macrumors regular

Yes, it pretty clearly says there that both models have OIS. Previously only the plus models had OIS.