iPhone 7 and color spaces

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bielshandy, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Bielshandy macrumors newbie

Hi

First post here and long time iPhone user. I currently have a 5s and to be honest iOS 10 runs absolutely brilliantly on it (main reason I stick with Apple for mobile devices). However, I am looking at upgrading to iPhone 7 (plus is too big for me) mainly because of the camera improvements and bigger screen.

Photography is my hobby and I am the owner of various pieces of Fuji and Canon gear. My monitor is calibrated to the sRGB colour space for this, but I see from reviews that iPhone 7 has something called Wide Color. Would appreciate answers to the following:

* Does iPhone 7 JPGs save in Wide Color as default?

* Is there an option to save iPhone JPGs as sRGB?

* I use VSCO to process my iPhone photos. How does this app deal with colour with iPhone 7 photos? (For example, will a processed photo in the app save as Wide Color or SRGB?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

ok, i don't know if i'm wrong, but i will try to answer some questions...

indeed, the iphone 7 comes with an screen with wide color display calibration (P3), wich is more saturated than sRGB standard... just like a cinema display...

the camera comes with a wide color capture specs, wich capture the image with more saturated colors, they save as wide color as default, but there's no any option to change them to sRGB (in the iphone at least) maybe you should try to edit them on the photos app on the mac.

as far as i know wide color is the default and only option to take photos on the iphone native camera, maybe you can try using a different camera app, a more professional one to try to edit those settings before you take the shot.

:D hope it helps!