iPhone 7 and switching carriers (AT&T and Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exi, Aug 15, 2016.

1. exi macrumors 6502

All,

I've posted about network switches with new phone releases in the past (like here).

Currently on a Verizon iPhone 6. Have been on AT&T and Verizon for years each. Will be getting the iPhone 7.

In my area:
    - Rootmetrics: no report on my city. At a glance, Verizon appears better by heat mapping. A city an hour away places Verizon over AT&T.
    - OpenSignal: At a glance, Verizon appears better by heat mapping.

Certainly looks like an easy decision.

In my previous thread, there was conversation about in-building penetration and pros/cons for each network. I understand that things have changed since that thread years ago.

I spend much of my time in "solid" buildings -- hospitals, etc. Phone is GPS when traveling.

Verizon, at home, has been around ~1 bar in the last couple years, with rare actual issues on voice calls. Don't know what AT&T would be here.

I previously had weird issues with portions of multi-part texts going missing or non-Roman characters not showing, but I haven't seen those issues in a long time.

Pricing for the kind of data I use on a cell network is similar.

So with all this, is there anything that'd make you consider a switch to AT&T? Just looking for discussion -- Verizon has overall been solid, but next month would be the time to switch if I switch at all.

2. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Only benefit I've been able to gather from poking around is the better voice quality on AT&T, it seems, even with VoLTE -- perhaps just me. Unsure if you guys can think of something I'm just not seeing.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldn't go much based on Rootmetrics or other measuring tools and maps. Or based on reviews at a city an hour away from you.
    Best way to tell is use it for a few week and you'll know if it works out for you at the places you frequent the most.
    Most carriers now let you try their network for a month and you can switch back before that with no additional fees.

4. exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Appreciate the input. That's sort of the funny thing -- I experimented before, and I briefly had an AT&T model which I found to be on par with Verizon service in my neck of the woods in some ways, but then demonstrably worse in a few other then-important places.

Thing is, many of those "few other then-important places" are places and facilities which I no longer work at or frequent otherwise. I wonder if my fringe reception in neighboring rural areas would be as good (or if it would matter) -- or if being back on HSPA or a 3G connection would annoy me relative to Verizon and their giant LTE network.

Conflicted and annoyed at possibility of me ordering an iPhone 7 on AT&T on day one, finding it still suboptimal for any reason, and then having to switch back (and getting stuck with a weeks-long shipping delay).