iPhone 7 app update size different from iPhone 5s?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Hey guys. Weird question. I decided to update the Facebook app today and realized that it's 391 MB! My buddy has an iPhone 5s, and on his phone the Facebook update is only 241 MB.

What gives?

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
That's funny. Why is it larger on my phone?

Here's my iPhone 7

And here's my friend's 5s

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's likely app thinning and all of that. To top it off, it will still generally be a lower number that will actually be downloaded. And to top that, the installed application will yet of a different size as well (not even counting data and documents that might be present).

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
I've updated a few games, and monitored my data usage. The whole games were re downloaded. I don't app thinning or delta updates really work

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've updated a few games, and monitored my data usage. The whole games were re downloaded. I don't app thinning or delta updates really work
Not quite sure what happened in your case there, and there are likely cases where the whole thing might be downloaded for one reason or another, but app thinning and delta updates are certainly something that is part of it all and work for people in general.

Yummy_Brains

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2016
England, United Kingdom
Hey guys. Weird question. I decided to update the Facebook app today and realized that it's 391 MB! My buddy has an iPhone 5s, and on his phone the Facebook update is only 241 MB.

What gives?
Maybe it depends on what features Facebook rollout to you (to a degree)? For example I had the new Facebook camera junk before my mate did despite us both updating on the same day - didn't think to check download sizes though.

Reactions: Nisaja

Nisaja

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Maybe it depends on what features Facebook rollout to you (to a degree)? For example I had the new Facebook camera junk before my mate did despite us both updating on the same day - didn't think to check download sizes though.
That is a really good point! I genuinely think it be that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.