iPhone 7 app update size different from iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nisaja, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Nisaja macrumors 6502

Hey guys. Weird question. I decided to update the Facebook app today and realized that it's 391 MB! My buddy has an iPhone 5s, and on his phone the Facebook update is only 241 MB.

What gives?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The App Store says it's 257MB for my iPhone 7+.

3. Nisaja thread starter macrumors 6502

That's funny. Why is it larger on my phone?

Here's my iPhone 7 [​IMG]

And here's my friend's 5s
    [​IMG]

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's likely app thinning and all of that. To top it off, it will still generally be a lower number that will actually be downloaded. And to top that, the installed application will yet of a different size as well (not even counting data and documents that might be present).

5. Nisaja thread starter macrumors 6502

I've updated a few games, and monitored my data usage. The whole games were re downloaded. I don't app thinning or delta updates really work

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not quite sure what happened in your case there, and there are likely cases where the whole thing might be downloaded for one reason or another, but app thinning and delta updates are certainly something that is part of it all and work for people in general.

7. Yummy_Brains macrumors newbie

Yummy_Brains

Maybe it depends on what features Facebook rollout to you (to a degree)? For example I had the new Facebook camera junk before my mate did despite us both updating on the same day - didn't think to check download sizes though.

8. Nisaja thread starter macrumors 6502

That is a really good point! I genuinely think it be that.