iPhone 7+ as iPad mini mini

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by profmatt, Feb 25, 2017.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

Anyone using an iPhone 7+ as an iPad mini mini?

It feels like the iPad mini is a bit too big for my needs.

2. blaine07 macrumors 68000

No. I use my iPhone 7+ as main media consumption devices. Then iPad Pro 12.9 when I need something life size. If I need power, then break out the trusty MacBook Pro.

Anyways I mean I guess iPhone 7+ could be used as iPad, but in my opinion the 4" smaller screen real estate isn't in the same league.

That's truly the beauty of it though; Apple has multiple devices for multiple people to accommodate their varying styles and needs. It's a beautiful thing

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My 7+ is pretty well a phone and email machine. 9.7 iPads for media consumption with desktops for work at home and office. I can use the 7+ on the Internet and do but it is still too small for me . . . Likely due to using the ipads.

4. alanderp macrumors member

alanderp

I've had the + version of the 6 and 7 ever since I upgraded from my 5S. It's become my main media device, communications device, and mini iPad.

I've tried buying an iPad Pro 9.7" and told myself I'd use it for school and entertainment and it'd be such a cool device to have, but I ended up returning it because I just didn't find enough things I could use it for that my iPhone 7+ or Macbook Pro couldn't do... It was literally a glorified iPod Touch to me, which my iPhone already was. The pencil was cool but I looked like a total tool using it in class, and much prefer the feeling of writing on real paper. Fumbling with the app switcher on the iPad made it less efficient than being able to have everything laid out in front of me.

It's very subjective, some people will argue you can have an iPhone, iPad, iPod, Macbook, and iMac, and some people like myself can get by with just an iPhone (as an iPad also), and a Macbook or other PC. People will say "go completely digital with school", some will say it's stupid.

Buy an iPad Mini, use it for 2 weeks and see if you can justify shelling out a couple hundred dollars for a slightly bigger screen to do things an iPhone + can do.

5. Kingofclouds macrumors member

Kingofclouds

Switched from iPhone 7 to an SE as main daily phone and 6s Plus for use at home.

Love the portability of the SE and the size of Plus for consuming media, browsing etc.

I have two sims, signed in via iCloud...everything syncs perfectly such as iMessage and answer on other devices. Only think that's not 100% is WhatsApp but I use a iPod designed WhatsApp web app for that.

6. subjonas, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017

subjonas macrumors 65816

I tried using a 6s+ as an iPad mini mini (to supplement my beloved 4" iPhone). It wasn't great. Continuity wasn't designed for multiple iPhones, so it didn't do things like receive forwarded calls and texts from my other (4") iPhone while I was at home. It also didn't have other iPad features that I really wanted, such as picture in picture, slide over (I don't really need true split screen for my consumption device), four finger gestures, and landscape orientation in lock screen. Plus a lot of the iPhone apps don't support landscape orientation. Not having landscape a lot of the time became a huge pain when I wanted to use the device for a lot of video.
    Not to mention the screen was smaller than I wanted. The mini is a bit too big to palm comfortably or put in a back pocket, so I really liked being able to do that with the 6s+. But I could still easily palm it/put it in my back pocket if it were substantially bigger, so the ideal size for me would be somewhere between the iphone+ and the iPad mini, but closer to the mini.
    I ended up just going with an iPad mini because it was by far the lesser compromise. I stuck one of those pop up things on the back of the iPad that makes it easier to hold one handed, which helps.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I actually retained my 6S plus after I upgrade to my 7+. And I find that I use my 6S plus as a Wi-Fi device for portability around the house. Versus having my iPad or laptop with me all the time. It actually is useful when doing basic media tasks or emails. I was going to sell it, but I find it more convenient to actually use it as a smaller media device for Wi-Fi only.

8. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Well, I went for a it and bought a 7+ in jet black, 128GB.

It's surprisingly heavy. Obviously not as heavy as an iPad mini, but as you hold with one hand it feels heavy, especially compared with the regular 7.

The real iPad mini is surprisingly large -- it's not much smaller than the normal iPad. I was looking for something to use when I was watching TV -- apps, websites, etc. The iPad mini felt too large.

The 7+ is a nice size: it feels much bigger than the regular 7 in terms of screen real estate. It works fine without a SIM, though I needed one in order to set it up, and on restart it reminds me I don't have one installed.

I don't love the jet black as much as I thought. (My regular 7 is a matte black.) It feels very delicate -- solid, but fragile. Because it's so heavy if you dropped it, I think it would damage itself. The regular 7 feels so light, I doubt it would, and the back seems like it would protect it. The jet black does feel lovely in the hand, though.

9. subjonas, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

subjonas macrumors 65816

Wait why don't you use your 7+ at home?

Interesting. You're the only other person I know of other than myself who bought a plus iPhone to use purely as an iPad. One family member thought I was insane to buy an expensive new iPhone and not use it as a phone. But I told them I didn't want a phone bigger than 4", and I wanted an iPad smaller than a mini, so this was my only option (didn't work out though for the reasons I stated earlier). Out of curiosity, what do you use for your phone?

I might add though, the reason the lack of good landscape support on the plus iPhone was such an issue for me was because I often had it mounted or on a stand to watch videos, and having to often pick it up and rotate the device became too much of an annoyance. Don't know if that will be an issue for you.

Update this thread after awhile if you can. I'd be interested to hear how your experience compares to mine.

10. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

After having the iPhone 6+ and 6S+ I felt the larger sized models were too large and heavy to carry around when I'm out walking my dog listening to music, so I "downgraded" to the regular 7. By contrast it's so small and light I don't notice it in my pocket at all.

So the regular 7 is my phone/iPod. In addition it's paired with my Apple Watch and has the Activity app. At the moment I don't use it indoors, only when I'm out. The 7+ has taken over all indoor use.

The only time I'd take the 7+ outdoors would be to use the camera, which is better than the one on the regular version.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My 6S plus is Wi-Fi only. And it gives my iPhone 7 Plus a break from when I use it all day when I'm at home or at work. Also, I don't plan on selling my 6S plus. I plan on using it for a Wi-Fi device to rotate between my other devices. And personally, it should be used for something.

12. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

This doesn't seem practical, at least for how I use mine. I have half a dozen iOS apps on my iPad Mini that are "tablet-only", and I assume these wouldn't work on an iPhone+.

13. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

For those of you that have two iPhones, do you use the same sim and swap it out between the iPhone that you are using at the moment?

14. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm using my 7+ purely as an iPad, so I don't put a SIM in it at all. If I took it outside (because I was on vacation and wanted to use the better camera, perhaps), I would swap out the SIM from my other iPhone.

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

the 7.9 inch display on the iPad is more than slightly bigger. Its a pretty big difference actually.

16. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

It's also a lot cheaper than a 7+ if your using it as a tablet around the house