Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
After reading some posts here about the audio quality of the iPhone 7 compared to other iPhones, I had to test it out.

I used the following phones:
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6 Plus
iPhone 5s
iPhone 5c

I played the same tracks via Apple music and compared them using the Apple EarPods (the ones that come with the iPhone 6 and the lightning ones from the iPhone 7). Example "Changes" by 2Pac easily shows the differences in audio quality.

You can EASILY hear the differences between the 7 and other phones and it is not good. There is a lot less deep bass now and they do not get as loud. I have no idea why but it was the same using the following:
EarPods with lightning cable connected to all phones
EarPods with standard headphone cable (without adapter)
EarPods with standard headphone cable (with adapter for iPhone 7)

All scenarios with the phones came out the same, the iPhone 7 is lacking the quality audio compared to the other iPhones. It sounds like having a nice audio system with an amp when using the iPhone 6 Plus or even the 5c. But when you listen with the iPhone 7 Plus, it just lacks the clarity, bass, and "oomph!".

Go ahead and try it, super easy to hear a difference and everyone should have multiple EarPods. Major disappointment.

Reactions: Vanilla35

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I kinda like the sound. I can definitely tell it's not as full of bass compared to my 6S tho. But on certain songs, I kinda like it. I have Whitney Houston's live album (why she only has one, I'll never know) and it sounds amazing on 7+

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
I'll compare some others too but so far I'm disappointed. FYI, volume is also set to max, you can really tell then.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah but but Apple said audio audio quality would improve with doing away with the antiquated audio jack....

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
I don't understand what kind of down time an adult has that they can listen to headphones for any length of time. In high school I listed to music on the bus. I had the fancy slide in Sony CD player. But now I use Bluetooth in the car or a cd ear buds are illegal while driving anyhow.

Apple really wants you to buy the new 300 dollar beats 3 wireless your not supposed to enjoy the lighting cable buds. I understand a college student can't afford that but they can't afford a 800 dollar iPhone either

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Easy, working out and walking/running requires earpods. Car is always CarPlay for me now.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
the thing is, the iPhone 7 doesn't have it's own audio quality, it simply does not factor into the equation, those lighting ear-pods have their own DAC & Amp, what's coming out of the phone is purely digital, maybe try the lightning ear-pods on your iPhone 6, the same goes for the adaptor, it has it's own Amp & DAC in it. if you get the audio out of the 2 phones in the same way, it will sound the same. I have some Sony headphones with a built in DAC & Amp that have sounded GREAT on my iPhone 6 (MDR-1aDAC) and they will sound IDENTICAL on the 7, because it's the same digital signal they will be receiving regardless.

(I didn't say they were lighting headphones specifically because while they DO support lighting, they also support USB to both Android phones or PC)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't understand what kind of down time an adult has that they can listen to headphones for any length of time. In high school I listed to music on the bus. I had the fancy slide in Sony CD player. But now I use Bluetooth in the car or a cd ear buds are illegal while driving anyhow.

Apple really wants you to buy the new 300 dollar beats 3 wireless your not supposed to enjoy the lighting cable buds. I understand a college student can't afford that but they can't afford a 800 dollar iPhone either

I have a ton of downtime. No kids, work 6-3 mon-friday.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Trust me, the 7 is not putting out the same signal as other iPhones. Try it and see. It's lacking and all comparisons were with same headphones on different phones. Simple to try yourself. There was another post here too that also mentioned the 7 audio sounded "tiny" in comparison to the 6.

Last edited:

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Apple Music seems tame with regards to volume. Other apps play music with more volume, granted the Apple EQ isn't system wide or applicable in that aspect, which maybe is why. Still playing a song in Apple Music just seems on the low end of the volume spectrum even when maxed out.

Re-test? Sound is always dependent on the listener though. I think my iPhone 7 Plus sounds comparable to my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Mini 3. But what do I know. Things only sound different if I use a noise canceling set of cans.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I found that the 7 Plus using the dongle sounded better than the headphone jack on my 6S Plus with both my Bose and RHA.

There is a fellow on a well known headphone forum who has measured the dongle's output and it has impressive performance.

Reactions: Vanilla35
I found that the 7 Plus using the dongle sounded better than the headphone jack on my 6S Plus with both my Bose and RHA.

There is a fellow on a well known headphone forum who has measured the dongle's output and it has impressive performance.
what do you mean by dongle? the adapter or some guy's dongle :D
[doublepost=1475196933][/doublepost]

Every heard of people who are at work? Lots of people don't want to hear all the jibber jabber and office politics at work and wear their headphones for many hours a day if not the entire day.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2010
Ok. Update. I tried two other 7 models and they were fine and sounded the same as previous models. Exchanged this 7 Plus at Store and all good for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.