Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you experiencing battery "failures" on your IP7?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
So I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. My 7 shut off twice tonight while doing an Instagram live stream, I was out wandering the woods looking for some photo opportunities with my camera (not iPhone camera..) when out of nowhere the phone generates a VERY quick message on screen which I couldn't manage to read and then it goes dark. Weather outside is about 20F so it shouldn't be overheating. The phone then takes at least 3-4 minutes to be able to power on again, trying before that time results in the "you need to charge me" indicator on the screen.

Apple support wants me to restore, which is a miserable pain because I have a number of two factor apps setup and nothing ever restores just right anymore.

So, anyone seeing this on their 7?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. My 7 shut off twice tonight while doing an Instagram live stream, I was out wandering the woods looking for some photo opportunities with my camera (not iPhone camera..) when out of nowhere the phone generates a VERY quick message on screen which I couldn't manage to read and then it goes dark. Weather outside is about 20F so it shouldn't be overheating. The phone then takes at least 3-4 minutes to be able to power on again, trying before that time results in the "you need to charge me" indicator on the screen.

Apple support wants me to restore, which is a miserable pain because I have a number of two factor apps setup and nothing ever restores just right anymore.

Sounds like it might have been too cold for it as that can have a similar effect as overheating (although certainly not really as damaging as overheating can be).

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
20F is well below the minimum operating temp.

Cold can reduce battery life in just about any kind of battery.

More specifically, cold inhibits the chemical reaction in the battery that allows it to maintain high enough voltage to the components.

Warm up the phone and the battery will "wake up".

Cancelled
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
More specifically, cold inhibits the chemical reaction in the battery that allows it to maintain high enough voltage to the components.

Warm up the phone and the battery will "wake up".

This seems to be the issue then. I specifically told the support agent the temperature so I would have thought they would have informed me. Oh well you live and learn, I never had this problem with any other phone to my knowledge.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This seems to be the issue then. I specifically told the support agent the temperature so I would have thought they would have informed me. Oh well you live and learn, I never had this problem with any other phone to my knowledge.

All you need to do is carry you phone against your body to keep it warm. I have used my much cooler than that and as long as you use your body temp to keep it warm you should not have a problem.

Support agents come in all flavors.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

As much of a inconvenience as it is with iPhone shutting off with abnormal temperatures, at least it's doing you a favor, from preventing any further damage. It's nothing more than a failsafe design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.