iPhone 7 booting slowly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user1408, Nov 17, 2016.

1. user1408 macrumors member

Hey guys, I am having a really odd issue with iPhone 7. It was freshly DFU restored a week ago, and I still haven't put any applications or anything on it, and the booting time is really really bothering. 1 minute and 5 seconds to boot.

Can anyone tell me who is running 10.1.1 (150 version) is having the same issue?

2. FoxMike macrumors member

I think it started with IOS 9. The booting on all iDevices has slowed down. There is a thread on this if I recall.

3. user1408 thread starter macrumors member

Wrong. When I first bought it it wasn't like this. This is a replacement iPhone7. With iOS9 boot times were ~10 secs. 1 minute is insane, are u living in 1999?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think I've ever seen it being something like 10 seconds. That said, no need to get confrontational, especially over something like this.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A dfu restore doesn't fix much if you restore from an old faulty backup file.
    Restore again and setup as new phone to avoid software bugs passed down from previous devices or earlier problematic software builds.

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Who reboots their phone? And how on earth can it bother you? I wouldn't care if it took 5 minutes to boot. I leave mine on and just use it.

8. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

No, no, no. Leave that click bait alone.

I do periodically. Really don't pay attention to how long it takes.

9. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

What do you mean?

10. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

That speed difference is so meaningless for the average user. They made that video to get more clicks and more money.

11. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Hmm okay...

12. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

That is a very slow boot time for an iPhone 7 .. I'm pretty sure mine running 10.2 beta 3 boots in around 10 secs .. certainly well under 20 anyway!

I would try another restore and set up as new phone not from back up as advised.

13. Newtons Apple, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is YOU that is wrong. I do not think I have had any iPhone that has booted even near to 10 seconds. I have an emergency flip phone that will not boot in 10 seconds.

My 7+ takes about double your 10 seconds and it is 2016! Hardly an issue as I have not rebooted in over a month.

14. user1408 thread starter macrumors member

So given the fact ur not rebooting should mean I should spent $1000 for a phone that can't be without issues? I dont care if i will never restart it. I am paying that much for quality, period. And not returning the phone 4 times a year, which is 2 months without a phone cuz of the waiting time for the new one. You're so delusional all of you to not know the actually truth whats going on

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You call us delusional because our phones do not boot in 10 seconds. i believe the "issues" thing but not sure it is about your phone. You phone not booting in 10 seconds is not an issue.

You joined this forum to complain about your video problem, now complaining about the time it takes for your phone to reboot, what is next?

Done here

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    That doesn't make much sense but yes whatever you say :)

17. tomjleeds macrumors 6502a

tomjleeds

Suggestion. All this "delusional" and "the actually truth" stuff makes you look like a tinfoil hat-wearer. This in turn makes people less likely to help you.

However...I'm on 10.1.1 and just powered it off, then booted again. 20 seconds to the passcode screen. If yours is really taking over a minute, that does suggest something's up.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

His is probably around that time too but you know how they all exaggerate and make it sounds like its the end of the world.
    Also if you have a device that's loaded up with apps and almost full the boot times are longer than someone that has only 10-15 and most of the devices storage free.

19. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

That's quite possible I guess, a device loaded up taking longer than a clean install to boot.

Mines quite bare minimum at the moment because I'm trying to trouble shoot a standby drain issue but I'll time its boot up time next time I turn it off out of curiosity as I'm sure it seems like it's not much over 10 secs

20. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Curious have you tested battery drain with the phone powered off? I thought my stand by drain was software related until I discovered I would lose around 15% with the phone shut off so was convinced it must be a hardware fault. Had to get the phone replaced and now all is OK. You might want to consider a replacement because I tried everything to get the problem resolved and nothing worked.

21. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

No but I'll try that and see if it drains switched off then .. I haven't been able to stop the 2% per hour drain even with a DFU restore set up as new. Shame battery lasts well while I'm actually using the phone too.

22. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Yeah your problem sounds very similar to mine. Through the day when I used the phone it seemed ok. It is like when you use it stops this draining standby cycle. But I have found that since I got my replacement that the usage time has really improved as well. I did a DFU restore as well without success. Good luck

23. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

Cheers .. did your original phone have a low battery when you switched it on for the first time? Just curious if it drained switched off. I'm sure mine was at least on 80% when I received it on launch day

24. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Can't remember for certain on my original phone what it was at first when I first turned it on. It was up there I think certainly not below 50%. The odd thing is my original phone worked great for the first 4-5 days no issues with the battery drain. Then all of a sudden it started acting up that's why I thought must be a software issue or a rogue app draining it so I did all the troubleshooting I could think of with no success. I think my replacement phone was at around 85% when I turned it on.

25. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

That was interesting! Firstly, I learnt that googling "timer" actually gives a stopwatch in the browser. And secondly, starting the stopwatch from when I press the power key, my 6S boots to the keypad screen in 20 seconds.

iOS 10.2 beta