iPhone 7 compass calibration issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FelixII, Nov 6, 2016.

1. FelixII macrumors regular

FelixII

Hi,

when I open the compass app (or any other compass-enabled app) on my iPhone 7, the heading is often completely wrong. Sometimes the offset is around 60 to 90 degrees, sometimes the compass points in the opposite direction. I always try to calibrate the compass by moving the iPhone in the shape of an eight or around its own axis. After 30 to 60 seconds, the compass points in the right direction, but after a few hours, the issue starts to reappear. A restart also solves the issue temporarily most of the time.

I have an iPhone 6 for comparison on the same iOS 10.1.1, which doesn't have this problem. The only thing I haven't tried yet is a factory reset. If this doesn't help, I will have to get in touch with Apple's support hotline, because I don't have an Apple Store around.

Does any of you iPhone 7 owners experience similar issues? Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks a lot!

2. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

Do you have compass calibration turned on under location services?

3. FelixII thread starter macrumors regular

FelixII

Yes, as far as I know this is turned on by default.

4. FelixII thread starter macrumors regular

FelixII

I've finally managed to locate the issue. I was carrying my iPhone in a belt pocket with a magnetic clip. This magnet is apparently strong enough to interfere with my compass' calibration. I'm now using a pocket without a magnet and the problem is gone. :)

Maybe this information is helpful to someone else.

5. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

That would make the running buddy pouch totally useless then with an iPhone 7.

6. FelixII thread starter macrumors regular

FelixII

Yes, it seems to be iPhone 7 related. I've carried my iPhone 6 in the same pocket and never had compass issues.