Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdawgs22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Iphone 7 Plus ... Over the weekend I noticed there was moisture in the camera area when i tried taking some pictures it was foggy... turned it over and saw the moisture... the phone was not submerged in water so I'm not sure how this happened. I made a genius bar appointment and today went in (the moisture in the back is gone)... they checked the indicator and it is not red however the lady says she saw a spec of moisture in the front facing camera.. deemed the phone water damaged and would not replace it unless I paid $299.....I see water damage is not covered under the warranty but for a "water resistent phone" that was never submerged in water, and that does not have the water damage indicator strip triggered accepting this response is a tough pill to swallow

Anyone have any advice on options besides paying out of pocket for a replacement?... would it maybe work to let the front camera dry out then try a different apple store?

any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The issue can also be humidity/condensation-related. Yes, letting it dry out in a moderate temperature/moderate humidity environment may be all you need.

Water resistance does not prevent humid air from entering the phone, and it doesn't prevent that humidity from condensing in a cooler-temperature environment.

And as far as bringing it in to another Apple store? Any shop in Apple's service organization has access to that phone's history, so "appealing" a decision to another store may not get you very far.

Reactions: jr866gooner

vdawgs22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Should I appeal via the humidity route and write to apple? This actually reminds me I went that route with one of the first iphones maybe the 4 and got it replaced for free eventually...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Should I appeal via the humidity route and write to apple? This actually reminds me I went that route with one of the first iphones maybe the 4 and got it replaced for free eventually...

If The phone is not water damaged and it's working operable, and you said the moisture dissipated from the back camera , then why would Apple replace it?

Furthermore, Apple documents the details of
Your iPhone in their system.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I think that humidity may be the culprit. I had a similar experience once with a 5s and the moisture evaporated and the phone was fine. I think the problem you have self corrected. You can always call apple though.

Sinna17

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2017
Go back and ask them to open the device to check for all liquid indicators. if all are clear then you're good. if not should be under warranty as no LCI were tripped.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Pay to have it fixed. Or not. Your choice.

Apple won't do it for free. You're either not lucky enough, or something else.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.