iPhone 7 for T-Mobile bought from Apple comes unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by comics addict, Oct 2, 2016.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I ended up purchasing a iPhone 7 compatible with T-Mobile network from the Apple Store and can anyone please confirm if indeed it comes unlocked out of the box? It's the first time I'm buying a carrier designated iPhone from Apple and so am not sure if if I have to call T-Mobile to have it unlock the SIM for me or if it does so automatically ? My carrier is T-Mobile so initially it a not going to be a problem and so once I get my hands on it I also can't test it with another SIM card from AT&T and the like. Any help will be much appreciate it.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If you paid full price for it and bought it direct from Apple it will be unlocked.

3. vngannxx macrumors newbie

Yes, Any iPhone 7/7 Plus bought full price from Apple will be unlocked. Just keep in mind that the GSM iPhone models for T-Mobile/ATT will be lacking CDMA support and some TD-LTE bands in China. CDMA support is only relevant for USA (Verizon/Sprint). The GSM model will work well internationally.

4. comics addict, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

That I was well aware but since I'm not a Verizon or sprint customer I couldn't place an order without entering a existing account credential during checkout. Besides I don't forsee switching from T-Mobile for the time being. And yes I did purchase my device at full price so then I should be good to go right out of the box. Thanks for confirming that.

5. vmcgen51 macrumors newbie

vmcgen51

I'm currently using T-Mobile. I pre-ordered an iPhone 7+ 128GB Jet Black in September, delivered last week.
    The pre-order was made via Apple Store app on my iPhone 5s. T-Mobile carrier was selected because SIM-Free option was not available for a pre-order. I want to send this iPhone to my brother in Cambodia as a gift. What should I do so that my brother can use it with an international simcard in his country? I'm afraid that the iPhone is locked to T-Mobile network. Should I activate the phone before sending to him or should I not? I already tried to get help from T-Mobile support, but they suggested me contacting Apple. Until now, I didn't get any feedback from Apple support yet. Pleas help!!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you bought it for full price from Apple then you dont have to do anything.
    Its fully unlocked and will work with any GSM carrier in the world.

7. vmcgen51 macrumors newbie

vmcgen51

Thank
    I just got feedback from Apple support. They checked the IMEI number and it shows that the iPhone is UNLOCKED. Any SIM card can activate this iPhone. Thanks,

8. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

if he didnt pay full price for it that is why he is posting,