iPhone 7(+) Iphone 7 (free) vs 8 (200$)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tostaky, Mar 10, 2018.

?

What would you chose

1. Iphone 7 (free)

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Iphone 8 (200$)

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. tostaky macrumors newbie

HI !

My wife is looking to get a new phone + new phone plan. She have 2 options with the same plan:

1) Iphone 7 32gb at 0$

2) Iphone 8 64 gb at 200$ (canadian)

She's not a big phone user, no intensive app, some travel pictures...

What would you do ?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Provided there are no contractual 'gotchas' or hidden fees, I would go with option 1.

3. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

I’d get the 8 for the wireless and fast charging. Faster processor will also give some extra longevity. It’s with $200 IMO.

Congrats on whichever you choose. Can’t go wrong really.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For someone that doesn't really use the phone much, those features are not really selling features, in my opinion.

Get the free phone and save the money. If the wife develops more of a liking to iPhone use, then he will have $200 more dollars to spend on her next phone.

5. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

I'd go with the free option. Use that $200 on something else...bills, nice dinner for you two, etc.

6. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

Depends on her habits. One point to make though, depending if she’s one of those who like to keep her phone in her back pocket, if she is the 8 will be much less prone to bending. The 8 is structurally a more sturdy phone, it’ll crack and break the glass, but it’s very difficult to bend if she accidentally sits on it.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Ask yourself would your wife appreciate the extra storage with the 64GB? That aside, both phones are highly similar, but the main differences with the iPhone 8 is True tone display, wireless charging and glass backing.

8. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I voted iPhone 8. More storage, newer phone, more future proof. However if your wife is okay with 32gb phone free is always cool.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I’m assuming you have this choice based on one of the carriers subsidized pricing for a two or three year contract.

If you’re locked in to a contract for a couple of years you should absolutely not choose an 18-month old phone.

10. zafaraliyougt Suspended

zafaraliyougt

Should choose iPhone 7 32gb at 0$ because you said her not a big phone user, no intensive app, some travel pictures only.

11. ericwn macrumors 68020

I wouldn’t want a 32 gb device anymore and i also really like the camera on the 8 better than the 7.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That is true, but in reality, it’s actually not 32 GB after the initialilazation with the iPhone and transferring over of applications/photos. Software updates also consume more today, which requires more memory, I think it’s a safer option to choose to 64 GB and you would have the latest hardware/internal specifications being that his wife likely doesn’t upgrade very often.

13. raqball macrumors 68000

I'd take the 7 for free if she can get by with 32GB which it sounds like she could. .. Not much difference speed wise between the 2 and wireless charging is a person by person basis. I have no need or desire to use it and slapped a dbrand skin on the back of my X which prevents it anyways.

14. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Here I am, just jealous that you can somehow still get a hold of an iPhone 7 or 8 with the old-school subsidized pricing.

My choice would be the 8.

15. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

It's likely he won't still have that $200 in his pocket when she's ready for a new phone. :( She will have an iPhone 8 that'll bring more on resale (newer, more storage) than the 7, thus lowering the out of pocket cost of her next new phone. IMHO she could easily sell it for twice what she paid for it. With $550 off the retail price, getting the 8 would be a no-brainer for me.