iPhone 7 from Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rpearlberg, Feb 14, 2017.

1. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

They are offering the 32GB iPhone 7 for $0 if you port your number and trade in your old device. Is there a way I can get the 128GB phone and pay the difference? Or am I better off just selling my old device and buying the iPhone 7?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's a good deal.
    What old devices do they except as a trade in?
    I know with some carrier deals before you had to trade in an iphone 6 or newer to get the promo.
    And you were able to pay extra to get the higher storage models or pay extra to get the Plus model.

3. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

You can trade in these phones to get an iPhone 7 32GB. They told me (on live chat) that I can't pay extra for higher storage.

iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, Galaxy S6 edge+, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S7, Note5, LG G5, LG V20, HTC 10

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I see, so iPhone 6 and newer is needed.
    Still a good deal. It kinda sucks that they wont let you pay extra for more storage or to get a plus.

5. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. I need more than 32GB. Might just sell my iPhone 6 and put that towards the 7. Or do nothing right now. Currently with AT&T.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Verizon offers a 14 day return / exchange policy. Get the free phone. And in a day or so, return it and get the larger size.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Depending on the condition of your iPhone 6, you could profit somewhere around $135.00 used on Swappa. Don't quote me on that, but not bad for that price.

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

According to the Verizon website, this is $649 applied in the form of credits over 24 months. So they would credit you a monthly amount of $27.08 for 24 months. With that being said, you'd be able to go to a higher storage amount you'd just pay the difference, it also says the iPhone 7 plus is eligible so there's that option too.

If you wanted to upgrade the storage, here's how it would work:
    • 128GB is $31.24 so you would pay $4.16 per month after the credit.
    • 256GB is $35.41 so you would pay $8.33 per month after the credit.

Also, keep in mind the credits don't start for 2-3 months so you'd have to pay the full monthly amount until the credits kick in.

This is basically the new contract, they lock you in to staying on their network for 24 months if you want the free device or cheaper monthly payments.

9. rpearlberg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this. According to their live chat I could only get the 32GB. The way you break it down makes more sense, so hopefully that's the case. I'm currently on AT&T with no contract and have a pretty good deal, but not unlimited data. Trying to decide whether to A) switch to Verizon and B) upgrade to the 7. Or just keep what I have for now.

10. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Interesting why it would make a difference as their website says it's credits for $649 over 24 months, not sure why they would care what storage capacity you got as long as you paid the difference. That said, I've had negative experiences with their live chat and ended up just going to a store instead.

I just noticed another option if you really want an iPhone 7, Best Buy also has a no trade in option.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon.../pcmcat1486998265280.c?id=pcmcat1486998265280

Not sure the full details so you would likely have to contact Best Buy to see if you can get a higher storage capacity. But it would allow you to sell your iPhone 6. Here's an ongoing discussion I've found:

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comments/5u2sk4/if_you_have_an_iphone_to_trade_in_best_buy_deal/

11. Applejuiced, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, so they completely stopped the 2 year contracts and came out with this bill credit thing that's pretty much the same thing:D

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Traded one thing for another that's more or less the same in the end.

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

They should let you upgrade. I did a very similar trade-in offer with VZW over Black Friday. The 32gb non-Plus was free. There was a $200 difference between that and the 128gb 7+ I got. They just added the difference onto my bill, so I'm paying $8.33/month for the "upgrade"
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    This is correct. You get the bill credit on the 3rd cycle, where you get three at once.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed on everything you posted. I want to add that the bill credit can be assessed quicker than two/three cycles depending on how quickly they process the return. Mine was processed in under two.

During the actual promotion and its initial offering, it takes longer with the influx of customers taking advantage of the promotion.