iPhone 7 gap at the top of screen. Does it affect water resistance?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleincognito, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Do you have this gap at the top of your phone?

1. Yes, on my 7+

18.9%
  2. Yes, on my 7

27.0%
  3. No, on my 7+

36.0%
  4. No, on my 7

18.0%
  1. appleincognito macrumors member

I've noticed today on my iPhone 7 that there is a small gap between the screen assembly and the metal back at the top of the phone.

It's wide enough that dust collects in there and that I can slide a sheet of paper a few millimetres in there. However, the sides and bottom of the phone don't have this gap, and I can't get a sheet of paper in between.

I spoke to a friend who also bought a 7 on the same day and he says his one is the same. Is this normal? Do any of you readers have it as well? Most importantly, will it affect the water resistance?

[​IMG]

2. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Interesting... I'm curious as to how Apple "reseals" phone for water resistant capabilities after a screen repair etc in store..

3. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Window caulking???

4. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

If anyone has the same thing on their 7, please speak up because I'd love to know whether it's the design or mine is just defective :)

5. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

My 7+ has the same thing around the top and bottom right but I'm not too worried

6. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Good to know, thanks for sharing your input. Can you see dust in between it and fit a piece of paper?

7. Scarphac3 macrumors regular

Yes to both

8. matbat macrumors newbie

matbat

How about "I can slide a sheet of paper a few millimetres in there."

9. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Well so far two peoples have said no on the poll so I'm assuming it's a defect?

10. mackie8 macrumors 6502

i also have on my jet black.. i think its part of the design

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

THe consensus seems to be it's part of the design according to other forum members.

12. tkaylol macrumors newbie

My iPhone 7 doesn't have a gap on any side. My 6S had a gap on the left side though which bugged me so it was one of the things I looked for when I got my 7 especially since it's water resistant.

Both were silver.

13. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Are you absolutely sure there's no gap at the top you would be able to fit a sheet of paper in?

14. tkaylol macrumors newbie

Yeah. Uploaded pic

Attached Files:

15. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I do appreciate that. Is it possible to get a close up along the top like the photo I uploaded in the original post?

16. tkaylol macrumors newbie

17. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

It looks alright but it's till a bit hard to tell. If you could go a bit further especially on the edge where the display meets the metal at the top :)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    Would you mind including a picture?

18. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

No pics this morning, but my jet black 7 has no gap anywhere. I can catch the spot where the screen ends with my fingernail all along the four sides, but nothing could enter, not even a sheet of paper.

Looking at your picture, you have a defect.

19. mackie8 macrumors 6502

I think its not a gap. Its the oje connects the screen and metal sides

20. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

yes because this poll is scientific

21. appleincognito thread starter macrumors member

It's not the bit of plastic between the screen and metal frame if that's what you're referring to. There is a distinct gap in between that plastic and the metal frame as in the original picture.

22. snmgolf macrumors newbie

Hi, I had exactly the same problem, the gap gets worse and fills up with more and more dust particles every day, until it looks horrendous in day light.

I took mine to an Apple store and they told me its clearly a fault with the Phone. I sent mine back to get replaced, Apple told me the screen should be flush on all 4 sides.

I think this is clearly a massive issue, and a massive f**k up for apple, embarrassing more than anything, especially for such a large company. I gues someone in q-control was taking a nap.

Make sure to get the phone replaced if you have a gap.

Thanks

23. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

My iPhone 6, 6S Plus and now 7 have all had this.

Drives me crazy seeing tiny bits of dust collecting in there. Like you say a piece of paper usually manages to scrape things out!

24. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Here is a picture from iFixit. You can see that the white tape/glue around the top is pretty thick.

Hopefully this puts your mind at rest. I think this is a very common issue that is only cosmetic. Every iPhone I've ever had has looked the same. Maybe I'm unlucky, maybe most people never notice. No idea but I wouldn't worry :)

Attached Files: