iPhone 7 + gets quite warm with light use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Neebee, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I tend to have my iPhone in a case, but every once in a while I take it out to enjoy how it feels without the case.

Lately, I noticed it is becoming quite warm with "light" use around the rear camera area. For example, when using FB or Wechat for 5+ minutes and even sometimes just browsing.

I am just curious if my experience is "normal" or if I should make a reservation at the Apple store (two weeks waiting list)?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

You use the phone, and it creates heat. The phone uses the aluminum body to cool itself instead of a fan, so it all be warm. Its normal.

You can phone or chat with Apple for 90 days after purchase for free, or 2 years if you got extended warranty, so you can skip the waiting list that way.

3. Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I never had this issue before with my previous iPhones with the exception when on my iPhone 5 it got really hot and then died.

Has Apple changed their complimentary support policy? I thought it was always the same as your hardware warranty? In any event, I bought my 7 back in September so I am not eligible to chat with Apple.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

What Cruisin posted is correct. Your previous phone(s) got a little warmer, you just may not have noticed it at that moment with a case on. Same Apple warranty terms in effect.

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

All processors, no matter what device they are powering, make heat. Sometimes you need a fan for cooling, but for phones the heat is radiated through the phone body. It is not an issue. Feel free to make an appointment and take it in for a second opinion.

It will obviously depend on your country, but by default you get 1 year of repairs but only 90 days of contacting support. You need to upgrade to extended warranty to get 2 years of repairs and support. It's been this way for as long as I can remember.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

If the iPhone is getting warm, I guess I wouldn't be too overly concerned. If you think it's getting to the point where it's overheating or hot, as the others have said in here, you could make an appointment with Apple.

7. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Normal, yes, and just one more reason that the 7 Plus is a disappointment.

I'm so glad to be rid of that stupid phone. Just one annoyance after another.

8. WashupDawg macrumors regular

9. DevinNj macrumors 6502

Funny, I don't have any of the issues people have reported with mine, and I think it's the best iPhone I've had to date. My phone gets slightly warm with intensive use, nothing out of the ordinary though.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The only time I have noticed my iPhone 7+ (in an Otterbox Defender case) getting slightly warm, is when I have been watching feature length 4K video.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Only time my iPhone get even the slightest warm is during a one hour FaceTime each Sunday morning. I can hardly blame it for that.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

You're Certainly entitled to your opinion. But the iPhone 7 isn't stupid because of one user review.

I've seen a lot of your posts and I know you appear disappointed/disgruntled about the iPhone 7. Even after you've had multiple returns. But not every experience is going to be the same, Especially when it's mass produced.

I'm sure there are hundreds of forum members who have the iPhone 7 Plus are very content with it. But you can't lump sum one iPhone and classify as it being stupid based off your experience only. It doesn't work like that.

13. Neebee, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I mentioned previously, I have had a fair bit of experience with iPhones over the years. This time something is different. I am starting to get new issues like the phone all of a sudden turns off with a full charge and won't turn back on. After doing the usual to get the device back on, which didn't work the first few times, it eventually did boot. I checked the crash logs and there was no log of the recent crashes.

Additionally, when I was in Asia a month ago, I was using Google and Here offline maps quite a bit. My location sensor would not always turn on. It was quite frustrating. I had to do hard reboots many times for it to work. I did the usual system restore et al. But something is not right with my iPhone 7+

I have an appointment with Apple next week for them to take a look at it.

14. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The phone suddenly turning off sounds like a bigger issue then the phone occasionally getting warm.

What do you mean by location sensor? I think the iPhone GPS is grouped with WiFi, so as long as WiFi is turned on then GPS will work.

Your phone has bigger issues then your original post suggested. Make an appointment and get it checked out.

15. Neebee, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

Neebee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obviously. The issue where the phone turning off just happened. It may be somehow related to the issue with the warm phone I have been experiencing.

And no, I tried turning on wifi to see if it would enable the location [gps] sensor. It didn't during those failed attempts. However, wifi does NOT need to be active for the location sensor to work ;)

16. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

I was under the impression that WiFi needs to be on to use the GPS radio. iOS doesn't have a GPS toggle like Android does. Otherwise you need to be close to cell towers and get location that way, but this is less accurate. Unless I misunderstood what you mean by location sensor.