iPhone 7 Hard Reset Confusion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omarb123, Oct 9, 2016.

1. omarb123 macrumors newbie

omarb123

I don't know who's aware of this and who's not, especially because I personally wasn't. I also haven't seen this posted anywhere unless it's just slipped by me.

So earlier this morning while on the phone, my display went black. The call was still going but there was no response from the display. I eventually ended the call through my headphones and still no response.

I immediately tried to do a hard reset by holding down the home button and the sleep button until the phone reboots. No cigar. I didn't want to resort to restoring my phone through iTunes because it was apparently still working, sounds from notifications were still coming through, it vibrated, and everything else.

My next step, unwillingly, was to go to the Apple Store and get it checked out thinking the display just fried or got disconnected from the logic board. I showed up with no appointment and was seen about 30 minutes later. The genius immediately tried to hard reset by holding down the home button and power button and had no luck. After a few seconds of him standing there perplexed, he then said "ahhh I almost forgot- with iPhone 7s it's the sleep button and 'lower volume' button. Don't worry, we didn't know about that either. Apple didn't say a thing and it threw us all off in the beginning."

After a few seconds, the white Apple showed up, my phone was good as new, and off I went.

Just a little tip that may save you guys sometime, a headache, or even a drive to the Apple Store for a 10 second quick fix.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

ya plus it also lowers your volume all the way that kind of sucks.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

It looks like it does, however when the reboot is complete the volume restores to the level it was at before. :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2016 ---
    @omarb123 - there was a lot of discussion about this in the run up to the iPhone 7 announcement when speculation of a solid state Home Button came through. MacRumors published a guide announcing this and the Apple site has instructions. I totally understand the confusion though, it certainly isn't obvious! Especially as you point out that Apple staff even forgot. Glad you got it sorted in the end and got seen to in the Apple Store on the same day. :)

To give you some clarity as to why this has changed in case you weren't aware: the Home Button doesn't actually move and gives the illusion of a click using an advanced vibration motor Apple calls the Taptic Engine. This Engine requires software to actuate, so it cannot be relied on for troubleshooting software glitches. Therefore Apple had to swap the reset procedure to another physical button.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I did not notice that but yep it does.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

This is also is indicated in another thread for reference. It's also answered on Apple's website.

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Your post is also outlined in my post, including a link to the support article on the Apple site. Pot kettle black etc... ;)