iPhone 7 home button sound?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mardaeus, Sep 27, 2016.

1. mardaeus macrumors newbie

mardaeus

Is it just me, or do you guys also hear a clicking sound coming from the speaker of the phone when you click the home button?

I'm running iOS 10 Beta.

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

No sound from the speaker on my end. That doesn't sound right.

3. chabig macrumors 68040

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

how can you run iOS 10 beta on the 7? it comes with iOS 10 already

5. iPhonefreak79 macrumors newbie

iPhonefreak79

The clicking sound is the physical vibration sound from the Taptic Engine.

6. techspin macrumors 6502a

I hear clicking sounds when I press the other buttons on the phone too. #buttongate

7. mardaeus thread starter macrumors newbie

mardaeus

Hmm. This is odd. I don't think it's the Taptic Engine because when I cover up the right speaker grille, the sound disappears. It is literally a slight clicking noise that's coming straight from the speaker, as if it's an intentional sound effect. Put yours close to your ear and press the button.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

Nothing. Could it be accessibility related?

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

There is always beta software. People on the beta are just always on a newer version of the OS. For example, you may be on 10.0.2 and they be on 10.0.4 or even 10.1. It just depends what beta apple is currently releasing to developers.

That is how people with the plus are using portrait even though it is not officially released.

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

I noticed this too... there is either a slight sound or the sound of the vibration is escaping through the bottom speaker, because if you cover up the speaker its gone. I like it, makes it sound like a button. Its a very slight sound.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. Try changing the home button setting to 1 and see if you still hear it.

12. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

It doesn't go away, but it sounds tinnier if you hold the speaker to your ear and compare... 2 and 3 sound close to identical.

Also the sound is unaffected by turning phone on silent or the volume level, so I'm leaning towards an internal sound escaping through the speaker.

13. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

Well...Apple's Force Touch Trackpad also plays a sound (that can be turned on or off) in conjunction with the haptic feedback to complete the illusion of click...so, it would make sense that the iPhone does too.

People saying "nope" to you probably don't realize they are hearing a sound effect and not the sound of the taptic engine.

14. mardaeus thread starter macrumors newbie

mardaeus

This x100. There is zero clicking noise when I use force touch.

15. mattopotamus, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You just quoted someone saying it would make sense there is a noise when pushing the home button.

He was not saying 3D touch would have a noise. He was stating it would make sense to hear a "click" when using the home button b.c macs do the same thing with force touch (their version of the home button, not 3D touch). The trackpads on Macs do not actually "click" but make a sound as if they do. On macs you can turn this setting off. It doesn't look like you can with the iPhone.

16. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Yes. I hear it. I think that's the way it was intended to be

17. mardaeus thread starter macrumors newbie

mardaeus

Yes, i understand. I was referring to 3D Touch because the sound does not occur during 3D Touch, therefore giving us more evidence that it is simply the speaker playing a clicking sound.

18. tallazzPilipino macrumors 6502

tallazzPilipino

I'm currently running 10.1 Beta on my Plus. it's avaliable to the public, not just devs. needed it just for the Portrait Mode ahead of time.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

ahh, gotcha. I thought you were confusing the two :p. Damn apple with 3D touch and force touch.

20. iToph macrumors regular

The click sound comes from the speakers, just like on the newer macbooks. I wish we could turn it off, just like on the macbooks

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Couldn't agree with this post more. I just want to shut off all the click sounds. Hate em. Don't need a noise to tell me I clicked a button. That's just my opinion though.

22. mardaeus thread starter macrumors newbie

mardaeus

Yep... it's pretty annoying.

23. iPhonefreak79 macrumors newbie

iPhonefreak79

Wow you're right. That's actually pretty cool! If u don't like it hopefully they'll have an option to turn the sound off on the next iOS update.

24. formerpc macrumors 6502

My 7 Plus has this sound effect. Apple went to great lengths to simulate the button pressing experience.