Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwest73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Sweden
IMG_6104.jpg
Got me a new iPhone 7. Started to set it up, then it wanted to update to iOS 10.0.1 before restoring from iCloud backup. Never finished, and now it just sits there glowing, totally unresponsive. Nothing happens. iTunes won't recognize it. It can't be turned off or restarted. *sigh* I guess it's back to the Apple Store tomorrow.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
View attachment 653393
Got me a new iPhone 7. Started to set it up, then it wanted to update to iOS 10.0.1 before restoring from iCloud backup. Never finished, and now it just sits there glowing, totally unresponsive. Nothing happens. iTunes won't recognize it. It can't be turned off or restarted. *sigh* I guess it's back to the Apple Store tomorrow.

What do you mean you can't turn it off or restart it? Of course you can. Hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons.

dwest73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Sweden
Umm...

Calvin-Facepalm.jpg

Of course...they changed how you reset the damn thing. Eh, thank you for saving me from my own stupidity!

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
I wonder if something is going on with Apple's servers? I just got past the 10.0.1 update, reset/erased my phone and told it to restore from iCloud backup. I login fine, it shows my last backup, and when I click on it it tells me " Could not sign in. There was a problem connecting to the server". :(

dwest73

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Sweden
I wonder if something is going on with Apple's servers? I just got past the 10.0.1 update, reset/erased my phone and told it to restore from iCloud backup. I login fine, it shows my last backup, and when I click on it it tells me " Could not sign in. There was a problem connecting to the server". :(

Well, yes, since William G told me how to reset, I'm having the same problem you have.

EJ8

Suspended
Oct 13, 2010
Well, yes, since William G told me how to reset, I'm having the same problem you have.

Mine is working now. I think the servers are overloaded. I did reboot once just to see if it helped. Logged back into iCloud, got the same error. I tapped on my preferred backup about 10-15 times getting the same error message as I sat on hold for Apple Support. Then suddenly about the 15th time it just connected and started restoring. So anyone having this issue...DON"T GIVE UP!! :cool:

Reactions: dwest73

Shark5150

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2014
Dallas, Texas
It's busy, people! Few million are activating at the same time all over the world! Carrier activation is affected as well. If you're on Verizon, try calling the CS number and activate using automated system. Took me literally 15 seconds.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
No issues for me, the only thing I had to do was update to 10.0.1 since that's the version my backup was on and once it restored it was fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.