Iphone 7 insurance for one year only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ceviche Lover, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I bought an IPhone 7 from Verizon and pick it up tomorrow. What's the best insurance option for one year only? I plan on getting another IPhone next year(Iphone 8? and was told I can't carry over Applecare to the newer phone. I just need something to protect against drops.

I'm also not planning on reselling it but possibly trading it back into Verizon after a year(which is why I don't want 2-year insurance).

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Apple care plus, you can cancel a year later and get a refund for the remainder time prorated.

3. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't know that, thanks!

4. blaine07 macrumors 68000

How exactly does one go about that and or whom does one call-- obviously Apple but is their a special number or department?

5. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 6502a

StaceyMJ86

All you do is call Apple and let them know you want a refund of the prorated amount from your AppleCare+. I've just done it for my 6s plus 2 weeks ago. I received $56.17 back. I also done it for my 5s and 6+.

6. blaine07 macrumors 68000

Thank you

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I've gotten a prorated refund of my Applecare+ twice so far, if I recall correctly.

8. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

I also have Verizon and the iPhone 7. I just put a case on mine but Verizon does offer monthly insurance.

9. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

If your only concern is drops, AppleCare is probably the best bet. Assuming iPhone 7:

AppleCare+ screen repair "deductible": $29
    AppleCare+ water damage "deductible": $99
    AppleCare+ policy cost: $129 (then subtract the pro-rated refund when it happens)

Still, if you only use AppleCare+ once, for a screen repair, you're better off paying out of pocket to repair the screen. The picture changes if you need more than one repair, or you drop the iPhone in the sink and its water resistance was insufficient to prevent damage.

Phone company coverage: $15-$18/month ($180-$216 for the year)
    Deductible - $150-$200
    Apple screen repair: $129
    Apple water damage repair: $319

So if the coverage was only for cracked screens, there's no way this makes sense. It only begins to make sense if worse things happen. AppleCare+ doesn't cover loss/theft, and those other policies may. A $200 deductible on a stolen phone will seem cheap compared to replacing the entire phone.