Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Venelin

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
There were quite a few things that the jailbroken apps added to iOS before. Now that we have 7 with its new features (a decent multitasking - most important thing for me), what other reasons have you got to justify jailbreaking?

There is many reasons way. If you don't know any then no need for jailbreak!

----------

I mean really can they hurry it up.?

Are you a morrrron:confused

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Yes but apps can check if the iPhone is jailbroken. Say apple makes a app that detects jailbreak(or having root access to phone) and it sends the phone imei to a database that voids your warranty.

Those apps look to see if you have an app named cydia installed. There are tweaks in cydia that undo that and worst come to worst just don't name it cydia in the file sysytem.

If apple implemented such a thing, I would imagine the jailbreak would be coded to disable such a feature since they have root access to do whatever they please...

Actually, Apple could theoretically do this. Just ask anyone who's irrevocably voided their warranty because of tripping the KNOX fuse on the latest Samsung phones and tablets (S4, Note 3, Note 10.1).

robotphood

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
iPhone 7 jailbreak taking too long?

I don't think apple will let it happen for other reasons but how would they get around a flagged serial/imei in apple's database? Other android companies have done something similar and I've never heard of a workaround.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
my main concern is that 6.1.2 jailbreak was very unstable on ip5 hardware so i imagine it being even more so on 5s running ios7. Perhaps this is one of the reasons for the delay is that it's not stable enough right now.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
my main concern is that 6.1.2 jailbreak was very unstable on ip5 hardware so i imagine it being even more so on 5s running ios7. Perhaps this is one of the reasons for the delay is that it's not stable enough right now.

Evasi0n is stable on all plaforms, probably a bad tweak you had.

It just isn't ready

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Evasi0n is stable on all plaforms, probably a bad tweak you had.

I agree, its the first I've read someone say that Evasi0n was 'very unstable' on an iPhone 5. Surly there isn't any reason for it to be either, not like there was very much different about the iPhone 5, I hardly think that the resolution or screen size makes a difference on a jailbreak. The new 64-bit processors on the other hand will probably have more of an effect than screen size but even then I doubt it's too much of a problem (haven't heard any dev complain about it, think someone like sn0w might of mentioned it if that was the case no? Though I guess he isnt working on ios 7...) either way its pretty silent at the moment so hard to know what problems they are facing :D

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
ya it was stable enough until one day it just bricked itself out of nowhere.

Also found this

"Mark Dowd and Tarjei Mandt, who described the iOS 6 kernel exploit, noted in a presentation in Kuala Lumpur this month that Apple has hardened the iOS kernel, provided better protection against memory or heap corruption errors, and improved stack overflow prevention. In addition, some APIs that had been used to execute exploits have been zeroed out, and Apple has further randomized address space layout randomization (ASLR) to make it more difficult to circumvent."

Most notably is the last sentence which talks about ASLR. (Address space layout randomization (ASLR) is a computer security technique involved in protection from buffer overflow attacks.) This was supposedly one of the issues of the ios 6 jailbreak.

Wikipedia:

"In many systems, 2^N can be in the thousands or millions; on modern 64-bit systems, these numbers typically reach the millions at least."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_space_layout_randomization

So I have a feeling that A7 chip has much greater capability to defer intrusion

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
iPhone 7 jailbreak taking too long?

ya it was stable enough until one day it just bricked itself out of nowhere.

Also found this

"Mark Dowd and Tarjei Mandt, who described the iOS 6 kernel exploit, noted in a presentation in Kuala Lumpur this month that Apple has hardened the iOS kernel, provided better protection against memory or heap corruption errors, and improved stack overflow prevention. In addition, some APIs that had been used to execute exploits have been zeroed out, and Apple has further randomized address space layout randomization (ASLR) to make it more difficult to circumvent."

Most notably is the last sentence which talks about ASLR. (Address space layout randomization (ASLR) is a computer security technique involved in protection from buffer overflow attacks.) This was supposedly one of the issues of the ios 6 jailbreak.

Wikipedia:

"In many systems, 2^N can be in the thousands or millions; on modern 64-bit systems, these numbers typically reach the millions at least."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_space_layout_randomization

So I have a feeling that A7 chip has much greater capability to defer intrusion

Nope,

Clearly you have no clue how the process actually works.

Once the system is jailbroken ASLR is no factor anymore as all defenses are bypassed and the file structure is pemanently altered to allow unrestricted access.

ASLR was indeed a hurdle to overcome, but once bypassed no issue.

Btw bricked is permanently not uasable any more. Caused by hardware failure or BB flashes gone wrong.
An apple logo loop is something else.
Those are usually caused by bad or conflicting tweaks. Usually a safe-mode boot will allow removal of the bad tweak, if system files are altered it might not get out of the loop and a firmware restore is needed.

Eitherway evasi0n is extremely stable with 10+ million users.

Don't blame on the JB, blame it on a bad tweak.
Usually theming.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina

How is it unstable? My 5 is on 6.1.2, j/b, and haven't had any problems since the day it went live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.