iPhone 7(+) iPhone 7 keeps randomly turning off

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hi,

My wife has an out of warranty iPhone 7, with no AppleCare (was purchased on launch day), which keeps randomly turning off, and requires forcing a reboot by holding buttons, or plugging into a power source before it turns on again.

Does this just need a battery replacement, or is it something more sinister?

Do you think it would be worth taking to Apple for repair, or trade in for an Xr? If I took it to Apple, would they charge me to diagnose it, or just to actually repair it?

Thanks,
Stewart

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Diagnostic is free other than your time and patience. It depends on Apple to waive repair cost or replace it. They will quote you on the cost of repair and whether you want to proceed with the repair.

I have an SE that I took for a battery replacement with other issues but they replaced my device for the cost of the battery $29. Take a chance on it and see what happens if you have time to spare. Book an appointment if you don’t want to wait too long.

Minorite

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2018
Poland
If there are no issues with calling/recording voice memos it should be the battery. In any case, as mentioned in post above, diagnostic is free...

now i see it

macrumors 601
Jan 2, 2002
Take a look at Battery diagnostics on your phone. It'll tell you if the phone crashed due to a weak battery

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
If you’re still wondering OP, that’s a sign of the defective hardware that Apple recalled in earlier models of iPhones. Standards symptom is random shutdowns with varying levels of power remaining and requiring to be plugged into a power source to turn back on. This is what they tried to cover up by the throttling - masking the defective batteries in millions of devices. I wish people understood how much bigger of a deal this was than Apple let on.