Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Showcased during the September 7 Apple event as an example of the iPhone 7's upgraded A10 Fusion processor, the mobile RPG Oz: Broken Kingdom today launched in the iOS App Store for free. The game features a turn-based combat system with characters based on L. Frank Baum's novel, including Tin Man, Scarecrow, Lion and a new heroine named Ophelia Shen.

oz-game-2-800x450.jpg

Developed and released by Nexon M and This Game Studio, Oz: Broken Kingdom has players collecting and upgrading over 100 unique abilities during a story mode that spans seven regions of the land of Oz, "including the now dangerous Munchkin countryside, perilous halls of Glinda's Castle, and the many shadowy lands beyond." Players will battle both small minions and epic bosses as they progress through the single-player mode, focusing on leveling up abilities in the three areas of strength, nature, and magic.

There's also an Arena mode, where players can create and join guilds with friends, collect companions to fight in battles, and ultimately challenge other players in real-time Arena battles in a player-vs-player mode. Throughout these PvP sessions, each player will climb or fall down a rankings leaderboard, and earn rewards to make taking out opponents easier.
"In Oz: Broken Kingdom, we've not only reinterpreted the land of Oz but expanded its lore," said Scott Blackwood, Founder and Head of Product at This Game Studio. "Players will explore a new take on Oz, one brought to life with stunning detail and brimming with fierce enemies at every turn."

"The experienced team at This Game Studio realized a tremendous opportunity when they took this globally relevant brand and reimagined it in a way that would resonate with today's mobile gamer audience," said Lawrence Koh, General Manager at Nexon M. "We knew when we first saw the game in early development that it was going to exceed player expectations on everything from graphics, fresh content, and most importantly, fun gameplay."
During the iPhone 7 event last week, This Game Studio co-founder Heather Price noted that the studio was "able to do things visually on the iPhone 7 that were simply not possible before." Price listed features like real-time reflections, weather effects, and environmental destruction abilities that all benefited from the boosted processing power of the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Other bonuses from Apple's new smartphone include responsive haptic feedback taps during gameplay, a wider color gamut, and a more immersive audio experience thanks to the iPhone 7's stereo speakers.

Although optimized for the iPhone 7, Oz: Broken Kingdom is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models running iOS 7 or later, and is also available on the Google Play Store on Android devices. The game is free-to-download [Direct Link], but includes a handful of in-app purchases.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Keynote Game 'Oz: Broken Kingdom' Launches in App Store

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This will be one of the first apps I download on my Vader phone. It'll be interesting to see how well it takes advantage of the new hardware compared to some games I have now. I wish they had a buy option though. I hate in app purchases.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Yawn... turn based combat with complicated animations is not my definition of a fun game. Neither is a Mario game with just one button. iOS has a major games problem on their hands because developers are spending all their time on pretty, but empty games.

Personally, I blame Apple's hesitance to add traditional control peripherals to iOS devices. If they create an official controller with buttons and thumb sticks, plus no requirement that the game work without it, and you'll have an explosion of gaming on iOS.

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The problem with iOS games is that there's this enormous amount of power, but no one is using it. This game, while I can't comment on the quality of it overall, looks no better than anything I've seen over the last few years.

You can have the A15 Metal Fusion whatever, it's not going to matter if 95% of the games are simplistic Cut The Rope type casual distractions.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Yawn... turn based combat with complicated animations is not my definition of a fun game. Neither is a Mario game with just one button. iOS has a major games problem on their hands because developers are spending all their time on pretty, but empty games.

Personally, I blame Apple's hesitance to add traditional control peripherals to iOS devices. If they create an official controller with buttons and thumb sticks, plus no requirement that the game work without it, and you'll have an explosion of gaming on iOS.

There are (was?) a whole slew of mfi controllers released for iOS devices. This one's my favorite.

HORIPAD ULTIMATE Wireless Game Controller

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/HJ172ZM/A

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Twas only a matter of time before the desecration of the story of the Wizard of Oz. No stone goes unturned.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
So am I the only one who finds it strange that they turned The Wizard of Oz into a fighting game?
I was distracted by the fact that the home of the "good witch" is apparently a gloomy castle dedicated to battling, traps, and dark magic.
And the quest is obviously not the type that Dorothy is interested in, so they had to find some other random female that at least initially doesn't seem to quite fit with my expectations of a character from around the "OZ" dimension.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The problem with iOS games is that there's this enormous amount of power, but no one is using it. This game, while I can't comment on the quality of it overall, looks no better than anything I've seen over the last few years.

You can have the A15 Metal Fusion whatever, it's not going to matter if 95% of the games are simplistic Cut The Rope type casual distractions.

Well, graphics matter for casual games as well. And that other 5% (or less?) of NON-casual games are pretty awesome! Vainglory and The Room series come to mind. Bunch of very nice racing and flying games too. I wish there were even more, but I realize people don't like to spend money anymore, which is the major barrier.

Eorlas

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2010

It's an A10. These "I don't know that much about tech so I make things up" jokes are old as of a long time ago.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
It's an A10. These "I don't know that much about tech so I make things up" jokes are old as of a long time ago.

I am waiting for an exclusive or designed for Apple TV game app. That way I can believe my $249 wasn't just for an over priced streaming device. I was thoroughly upset when Disney Infinity got scrapped.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Is the Wicked Witch of the West in this game? I imagine she'd be a really tough opponent on an iPhone 7/7 Plus, what with it being so waterproofed and everything.

Reactions: Moorepheus

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I am waiting for an exclusive or designed for Apple TV game app. That way I can believe my $249 wasn't just for an over priced streaming device. I was thoroughly upset when Disney Infinity got scrapped.

I'm confused. The ATV comes in a $149 and $199 option. How mathematically did you spend $249, and if it was because you wanted to plan for games, why would you do that with no such announcement or library?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.