iPhone 7 leather cases slippery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by janeauburn, Oct 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Been reading that the new iPHone 7 leather cases are extremely slipper, more so than previous years? Any experience with them?

2. dannyar macrumors 6502

very much so. already returned a saddle brown and storm grey because of it. I don't have the patience to wait months for it to wear in for grip.

3. AJPhan macrumors newbie

Poorly made and very slippery.

4. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

Mine appears to be well made. I like the case. I will say though it is on the slick side.

5. msavic macrumors 6502

It's really slippery when your hands are cold and dry. As soon as your hands are a little warmer, the case is decently grippy. It is hard to beat the look of the case though.

6. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I found the same thing. I'm wondering if it gets tackier as the oils from your hands wear the leather.

7. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

I used the leather case before on my 6S and I for some reason prefer the silicone a lot more.. I don't know what it is, but I'm one for grip and making sure it doesn't slip out of my hands.

8. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I would say so.
    I had the Midnight Blue and returned it for the Storm Gray.
    Not only are they a little slippery (I find myself thinking to grip tighter), the scratch like crazy.
    I have the midnight blue and black from the 6 Plus and 6S Plus and they show none of the wear that the Storm Gray did after a week.

On the other hand, they do look great.

9. IconIc215 macrumors regular

Curious to see how the Storm Gray looks over time. I love the color combo when the case is new.

10. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I tried using a black leather case back when I got my 6+ at launch. It looked great but not only was it slippery it also tended to bubble up wherever it came in contact with moisture. I don't know if Apple has improved its leather since then but I found them to be a little delicate for the premium price. After that experience I went to the silicone for my 6+, 6S+ and now my 7+. The silicone may not look as "high end" as the leather but its looks don't degrade, even after a year of use, and it doesn't mind moisture one bit.

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Very slippery and the blue one I had also was smelly. Not really a leather smell, but almost a latex smell. As such, I returned it. It also scratched much easier than the Apple saddle brown leather case I had with my 6S.

Disappointing considering it looks great. Not worth $50 to have a smelly, slippery case though.

12. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Interesting. I just ordered the storm gray. What color phone do you have that on?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 22, 2016 ---
    I've had leather cases for 6, 6s, and now 7. With each iPhone iteration, the quality of the leather cases has GONE DOWN, but the prices have not. That's not progress.

13. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I just bought a blue leather case for my 7 Plus today and was very surprised at how slippery it is. I've had a leather case on my iPhone 6 for 1.5 years and I don't remember it ever being that slippery.

Has anyone had the 7 version of the case for a while, does it stay slippery?

Is the silicone case thicker than the leather case? I love the fact that the leather case is quite thin, but not so thin that the edges almost cut your fingers (like the Spigen Thin Fit case I had before)

14. jshtroutman macrumors regular

jshtroutman

I've had my case since launch day and can't tell if it's any more grippy than day one. I will say I also have the silicon case too and it is the same thickness. It wasn't as slick but so smooth it felt almost greasy to me. I prefer the leather feel.

15. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

That greasy feeling is why I am always choosing leather for cases instead of silicon

Thanks for the feedback !

16. JSway macrumors regular

Silicon case is cool until you always wear jeans and it's a pain to get out the phone from your pocket. It also collects a lot of lint.

17. AppleWarrior macrumors member

AppleWarrior

I have two apple leather cases, and they are not slippery at all. Saddle brown and black.

18. sargein macrumors newbie

Same experience here. Black on iPhone 6 was excellent, while 7 black leather case is quite slippery. The buttons are much better though. Leaning towards returning them within the next week.

19. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

There's actually a bit of variation in slipperiness from case to case. That's unfortunate. Overall, though, they're too slippery.

20. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

The buttons on the leather case is one reason i am keeping it, I really like them

I don't know how the buttons on the silicon case for iPhone 7 are, but if it's anything like the iPad mini 4 case then it's definately worth getting the leather one instead.

Plus I think the leather case is slightly less slippery after a weeks' use. Hopefully it gets even better with more time passed

21. AJPhan macrumors newbie

The leather cases for the iPhone 7 are crap compared to leather cases for the SE. I love how grippy the leather case for my SE was that was why I decided to go for the leather case for my 7 as well. Big mistake, it way too slippery. I had to return it after 2 days when my $8 clear case arrived.

22. Phat^Trance macrumors regular

Phat^Trance

Indeed, the new leather cases for the 7 plus is waaaay more slippery than the ones for the iPhone 6 plus

23. Rayy42 macrumors 6502

Rayy42

Storm grey owners: how are your cases holding up as time goes on? Pics?

24. jlczl macrumors regular

I cured my leather case with coconut oil several days in a row and the result is an amazing in hand feel and it looks great in midnight blue almost black. Love the look, love the feel, love the case.

25. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502

Appleloves22

Can you post a pic?