iPhone 7+ localized overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vince730, Oct 2, 2016.

1. vince730 macrumors member

In an attempt to enjoy the Jet Black finish while still pristine and perfect, I've been going careless with the new iPhone 7+ for the past couple days and have felt what seems to be fairly significant overheating occurring on the back, top left-hand portion of the phone nearby (and also including) the camera area. It comes and goes very quickly - the camera bump and surrounding area will become noticeably hotter compared to the rest of the phone along with prominent "hissing" if I put my ear up to the area. Putting the phone to sleep for a few minutes appears to bring the phone back to normal operating temperatures. It's so short lived, that I never even experienced the issue until using the phone without a case the past two days.

It appeared to be linked to use of the camera based on what I've been able to gather empirically, but most recently occurred after performing a network settings reset (which also reboots the phone) which makes me wonder if it's more broadly processor/RAM related.

The last thing I want to do right now is wait months for a replacement JB 7+ phone, but given recent smartphone affairs with overheating, I also don't want to take any chances either. Have others experienced this same problem?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Overheating? I suspect it could be where the processor is located and under load it should get warm. Depending on what you are doing it could be normal.

As far as the hissing that is not normal and mine is as a quiet as a mouse.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's your iPhone. Keep in mind, you have 14 days. I understand it's a limited model right now, but if it persists to be an issue for you, then take the appropriate measures and return it.