iPhone 7 Loose Mute Switch Rattling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spooned12000rpm, Mar 9, 2017.

1. spooned12000rpm macrumors regular

I know this has plagued older iPhones but I can't find many reports on the 7 so asking if anyone else is in the same boat?

My 4.5 month old 7 has developed a loose rattling mute switch. When in the ringer position it's tight as a drum and the only rattle is the faint one from the camera. Once in the silent position it's really quite loose and rattles if you gently tap the switch or shake the phone.

Just interested to see if other people have a similar thing and the likelihood of the switch failing as to wether or not it's worth pursuing with Apple.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There is some slight play in my mute switch on my 7 Plus in ringer and silent. All my iPhones have been like that. If you feel it's worsening or has loosened more over time, then I would contact Apple and determine if it can be repaired/replaced.

3. spooned12000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

It's certainly more noticeable than before. Having looked at the iFixit tear down it looks like a royal PITA to get to the switch so unless the switch fails I guess they're not going to entertain a repair and even then I guess it'd be a new (or refurbed unit).

What I don't get is how it can work itself loose. I generally leave my phone on silent for the week then switch to ringer for the weekend so it's not getting a lot of use. Nor can I see from any pics online what part would make it loose (especially since it's tight once in the ringer position).

4. hersheyvolts macrumors newbie

hersheyvolts

I'm having the same exact problem and I just unboxed this fresh from the Apple store today. I've only just noticed it though after downloading a whole bunch of stuff. Kind of annoyed and don't know what to do. Like if it's already loose on day 1 I should request a replacement right?