iPhone 7 Models From AT&T and T-Mobile Do Not Support CDMA Networks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 8, 2016.

1. macribas, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017

macribas macrumors member

macribas

EDIT: sorry, I misread the question
    Yes, I've tried to use a Verizon SIM card on an AT&T phone and it did not work. I'm not sure if it was unlocked.
    I had to buy a carrier-free
    unlocked iPhone 7 to use my Verizon SIM.

2. dpfenninger macrumors regular

Resurrecting this post as we approach the launch of the iPhone X. I’m a T-Mobile user and was planning on simply ordering the T-Mobile model, but noticed that this model was ONLY compatible with T-Mobile and AT&T, whereas the specs for the Verizon/Sprint iPhone X seem to imply that that model would also be compatible with T-Mobile and AT&T (although Apple is seemingly deliberately vague about this on their website and Apple Store app).

My question is...should I just order the T-Mobile model and have a phone that will work but will have less resale value later (and wouldn’t work if I decided down the road to switch to a CDMA carrier), or should I order a Verizon or Sprint model and cross my fingers that it will work with my T-Mobile SIM?

3. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

Nice catch in the compatible Cellular and Wireless band section, it does seem to indicate that the CDMA phone has all of the bands necessary for GSM.

However

The * Note right before the footnotes seem to indicate that the phone will be software limited to either the GSM or CDMA networks.

So if I were you I would not risk it.

I would be interested to hear other peoples opinions.

4. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

You will be unable to get a Verizon phone, unless you have a current Verizon account. Stick to getting the T-Mobile version and don’t worry about the future. If my memory serves me correct, I think you can go into an Apple store and swap a GSM phone for a CDMA one if you can prove you actually switched carriers since part of the benefits of doing IUP is having a truly carrier neutral phone; they do however require ou have a carrier plan when you activate the phone.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Not GSM. VoLTE as a full replacement for CDMA was a rumor several years ago.

I prefer GSM. It just opens up far more flexibility in terms of global usage, global devices and SIM cards. SIM cards are glorious things.

6. MisterAndrew macrumors 6502

MisterAndrew

If you don't plan on using a CDMA network then I wouldn't bother trying to get a Verizon/Sprint model. But yes, that model if unlocked will work fine on T-Mobile. However, the CDMA model does give you the flexibility to switch between all the major carriers. Honestly, I would just wait a few weeks for the SIM-free model to release and buy that because the only way to get the Verizon/Sprint phone would be to wait in line at the Apple store and that's assuming they actually have iPhone X in stock. Those are my only choices since I'm on Verizon Prepaid.

7. dpfenninger macrumors regular

Ok, I will likely just order the T-Mobile model then. I'm planning on paying full price for it directly from Apple, so is it safe to assume that since I'm not going through a carrier payment plan that I can simply swap in my existing T-Mobile SIM card (from my iPhone 6 Plus) when the X arrives?

8. beq macrumors member

Will the iPhone X have a repeat of last year's situation? That is, the CDMA model uses a Qualcomm universal modem, and the GSM-only model uses a less mature Intel modem that may have some performance issues?

Any idea when the SIM-free iPhone X will release?

9. beq macrumors member

I'm still on an AT&T family plan but would like to switch us to a T-Mo family plan after getting the X.

I also want to enroll us in IUP for the first time, to get the X (last year I waited for the SIM-free 7+ and purchased it outright for the whole family).

For a T-Mo plan looks like I'll have to visit an Apple Store in person starting 11/3, which is a hassle.

Should I just stick with our current AT&T plan to be able to order the X via IUP *online*, then switch to a new T-Mo plan myself afterward?

Are there any promo benefits to opening a T-Mo plan after buying our own phones (BYOD)?

10. jhersco macrumors newbie

Where did you get that information? I am a T-Mobile user and I had no trouble odering a Verizon iPhone 8 from the online Apple Store. I put in my T-Mobile SIM and it works just fine.

11. lamanzana macrumors newbie

I tried that when the 7 was released. Once you go through all the steps to select the specific phone, it asks you for your carriers, details, number, social, zip code. I guess at this point they connect with Verizon to validate.

For the sake of testing I just went through all those steps with an 8 (using iPhone app), final step it asked me for my verizon account details. I am assuming when the iPhone X sale begins, it will be the same case. So unless you have a Verizon account, I don't think you can buy a Verizon phone.

12. jhersco macrumors newbie

I’m not sure why, but that didn’t happen with my iPhone 8 Order.

13. pcmike macrumors 6502

pcmike

That’s because the 8 is not as popular and was not restricted to you having to be a current subscriber of the carrier in which you ordered the phone for. The X will be like every other flagship phone on launch day... you can pay full price and have it unlocked, BUT you MUST be a subscriber with the carrier you order the phone for.

14. VoilaiPhone macrumors regular

I pre-ordered a Verizon variant from Apple Store Online using my friend’s verizon credentials. I guess after reading the thread, i just have to replace the included verizon sim with my own sim and activate the phone with my friend’s credentials, right?

Activating the iPhone X with my friend’s credentials will not result in deactiving the current sim and service he has it with his current phone since the Verizon activation process is for verification?