iPhone 7 multiple lens flare issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dleenyc, Sep 20, 2016.

1. dleenyc, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

dleenyc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got my iPhone 7 and after shooting a few videos in low light, I realized that there are several lens flares that appear from the camera. I'd understand if there were 1 or 2 but as you can see from my youtube videos below, there can be a bunch all over the video and I'm wondering if others are experiencing this? Its bothering me to see these moving around in my video and I'm wondering if theres a filter missing in the lens build to prevent this (particularly in my iphone)? Any help would be great. Thank you

2. SonRK macrumors 6502

Surprised you received no responses! I am experiencing the same in taking photos at night in Manhattan

3. Rocko99 macrumors member

4. x34 macrumors 6502

5. SonRK macrumors 6502

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I try to file an exchange request?

6. x34 macrumors 6502

i fear that's how the 7 does it

7. mustu macrumors 6502

8. fangiga, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

fangiga macrumors newbie

Hi all,

having the same problem with my iphone 7 (1st iphone for me). Yesterday on a market I was taking some videos and photos and was wondering about a blue dot jumping around. There were also a lot of blue dots as you can see on the following pictures. I never had such issues with my htc one m7 before.
    Now some hours ago I contacted apple support and they said it might be an software bug, and I should wait for the next update coming out soon. Alternatively I can restore the phone (what I did) over iTunes and take some pictures again to see if the dots are gone (its not the case).
    Now after researching some time on the internet I got to know that this lens flares seem to be a common issue for apple since the iphone 5 to 6 and now it also seems to 7 and for the previous generations they asked the people to hold the smartphone differently.
    Now I am wondering if it makes sense to keep the phone and wait for the update or send it back and hope for a new one without this issue or at least minor issues oder perhaps search for another phone not having such extreme issues with lens flares.
    A friend of mine is e.g. also experiencing this problem.

What do you think? And what do you think how big is the chance of getting a new one with minor issues? I just want to avoid coming over the 2 weeks of being able to give the phone back without any problems.

Perhaps a change request would make sense since it seems to be a real problem, but the other question is if apple really cares about it since they make such a stupid statement as you can read on the internet.

Attached Files:

9. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Probably bad lens design so exchange won't make a difference but the benefit of exchanging it is you have a record of the issue so legal recourse for getting a refund.

10. Rocko99 macrumors member

Not this bad.

11. wxman2003 Suspended

12. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Exchange it (if Apple allows it) right before the warranty runs out and then sell it for the iPhone 8. Hopefully, that model's camera will be better than today's Samsung Galaxy 7 ;)

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Never had a sapphire lens.

14. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Who never had a sapphire lens?

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Apple. It was a sapphire lens cover.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Just to put it out there...with DSLRs the best lenses costing hundreds and even thousands have flare issues. This is extremely difficult to get rid of 100%. When it comes to removing flare in these lenses it has a lot to do with which coating is applied as well as how many elements are built into the lens. All iPhones (smartphones) exhibit some form of flare and the key is to understand how shooting into bright lights like street lights will affect the amount off flair.

In short this is part of night photography and shooting into the sun.

17. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Hey Samsung Rep, can you go away please? If you aren't going to offer anything worthwhile, perhaps you can help your customers in replacing their S-Grenades.

18. entraik macrumors 6502a

that's a bunch of crap, because before this phone I had a Note 7..no issues in low light or with bad lens flares. Apple screwed up

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You obviously know nothing about DSLR lenses and what makes one better over another. Do some research before you call me a liar.

20. fangiga macrumors newbie

but to sum it up: in your opinion these effects on the pictures will be the same on every iphone 7 (not in one more bad or good than in another one) so i either have to get along with it or give it back?

21. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

I just started a thread about the same problem with still photos. It's not just a flare. It's a reflection. And it's pretty bad.
    Forget about backlit photos...

22. meaning-matters, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017

meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Took my first iPhone 8 pictures at night. All had crazy amounts of lens flare. Two yellow street lamps that were completely out of sight caused a picture of a black sky to become brown and with stripes and rings.

Attached Files:

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Very nice. Such a nice brown color. Love to have been there to see it!