iPhone 7 noticeably slower to invoke Siri?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Oct 9, 2016.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

Has anyone else noticed how much slower Siri is to come up when holding the new Home button on the 7 and 7 Plus? Compared to my 6s Plus or iPad Pro, it really feels so much slower before Siri is ready to take commands.

I'm assuming this is because of the new Home button, or does anyone have other thoughts here?

Again, I'm just referring to the time it takes from when you press the "button" to when the screen turns black and Siri is able to take commands.

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I just tried with my iPhone 7 with Siri. It seemed fairly responsive to me.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I think this is a software issue, I noticed the same issue on my old 6s. I can never use Siri on the first try. It's always me holding the button, saying something, there being a delay, Siri not getting what I say, and then me repeating it. Gets annoying really fast.

4. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Yes. I've noticed a number of things that seem slower on the 7 than my 6s. I've read that it's optimized better in 10.1 and have seen some videos that illustrate it.

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

I'm on 10.1 public beta 2 now on my 7 Plus, and it's no different.

6. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

Well, now I'm confused. Could have sworn I saw a video that showed a speed / performance improvement with 10.1. For instance, I've noticed switching home screens, going in to folders, etc seem "jumpy" on 10/10.0.2. The video showed it being smoother. I assumed Siri would be smoother/more responsive.

7. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Siri is smooth. It's just that it takes longer for her to appear on screen. It's just like nothing happens for a couple of seconds, and then bam - she appears. It's laughably longer than on my iPad Pro, for example.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

A side by side comparison of my 6S Plus and Sisters 7 Plus does reveal Siri response to lag on her phone.

We noticed it the other day while having coffee at Starbucks. It was apparent when simply comparing phones just for the fun of it. Quite surprised, we decided to drop in at our local Apple Store just ten minutes away.

They were receptive and accommodating, replacing her phone immediately. Interestingly the new one isn't much better. If it were mine I wouldn't have cared, Siri is useless to me.

In fact I greatly prefer Google Now.

9. nordique macrumors 6502a

It definitely slower than iPhones with physical buttons,

but on the flip side the 7/7+ home button takes you to the home screen/multitasking faster

10. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

It seems fairly quick to me. I rarely use the home button for it anyway. Usually just yell for her from across the room. I mean if I'm already speaking to my phone what is adding "hey Siri" before it? You don't have to wait for her to pop up. Just ask it all as part of the same question.

11. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I just compared my iPad Pro 9.7 to my iPhone 7 Plus, and they seems to respond with the same speed. I do, however, suffer from a lag when I tap the home button to return to a home screen. Hopefully that will be fixed in an update. Your problem with Siri may be fixed with a software update too.