Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2016
Im will be traveling to the U.S. in September hoping to pick up the iPhone 7 at the same time.

Can i purchase a network Unlocked iPhone 7 from the iStore.

Do they come factory unlocked straight after launch ?

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Im will be traveling to the U.S. in September hoping to pick up the iPhone 7 at the same time.

Yeah if you purchase the unlocked model.

metoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2016
And this I will be able to do on the launch day and if I perhaps decide to purchase it online and choose to collect from a istore as well?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
And this I will be able to do on the launch day and if I perhaps decide to purchase it online and choose to collect from a istore as well?

I wouldn't keep your hopes up about walking into an Apple store on launch day and walking out with a new iPhone.

The iPhone 6 was released 2 years ago. Every Apple store within a 20 miles radius to me was out of stock for at least a month. I finally stopped trying and ordered it online. It took another 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I wouldn't keep your hopes up about walking into an Apple store on launch day and walking out with a new iPhone.

The iPhone 6 was released 2 years ago. Every Apple store within a 20 miles radius to me was out of stock for at least a month. I finally stopped trying and ordered it online. It took another 2-3 weeks for it to arrive.
I picked up an iPhone 6 on launch day in "Square one" mall Mississauga Ontario and there was plenty of stock. I was on holiday walking pass the Apple store about 2pm saw that the line was not very long. There was a woman with a clip board outside where you just registered your name and cell number and you got a text to confirm the order with a reference number and then just got in the line. Did not wait more than 90 minutes. If Apple had separate lines for those needing contracts and those buying full price I would have been out of there in 15 minutes.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I picked up an iPhone 6 on launch day in "Square one" mall Mississauga Ontario and there was plenty of stock. I was on holiday walking pass the Apple store about 2pm saw that the line was not very long. There was a woman with a clip board outside where you just registered your name and cell number and you got a text to confirm the order with a reference number and then just got in the line. Did not wait more than 90 minutes. If Apple had separate lines for those needing contracts and those buying full price I would have been out of there in 15 minutes.

I've heard of experiences like that but it doesn't happen in L.A. I have never been able to pick up any iPhone on launch day.

iPhone 3GS: stood in line for 3 hours @ Apple Store
iPhone 4S: stood in line for 2 hours @ Apple Store
iPhone 5: stood in line for 1.5 hours @ Verizon store
iPhone 6+: couldn't even find stock anywhere. ordered online and waited.

I think this time around I'm just going to pre order the iPhone 7 if I want it.

metoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2016
I am planing to pick up mine from the Apple Store, Christiana Mall in Delaware. Did anyone pick up an iPhone from that store on launch day before?

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
OP - There is really no way of guaranteeing an Apple store pickup for a new phone on launch day as a walk-in.

Option 1: Just walk in, ask to buy a phone at full price and hope you get lucky.

Option 2: Stay up late on launch night, order it, schedule a delivery to a friend's U.S. address and hope it arrives by the time you visit.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
I've heard of experiences like that but it doesn't happen in L.A. I have never been able to pick up any iPhone on launch day.

iPhone 3GS: stood in line for 3 hours @ Apple Store
iPhone 4S: stood in line for 2 hours @ Apple Store
iPhone 5: stood in line for 1.5 hours @ Verizon store
iPhone 6+: couldn't even find stock anywhere. ordered online and waited.

I think this time around I'm just going to pre order the iPhone 7 if I want it.

Hate to be "that guy" but I strolled into a T-Mobile store and bought an iPhone 6 on launch day in LA

On the topic though, why chance it, just pre-order it, the last 2 launches have had decent availability through the pre-order system and some even get delivered a day early. You can always choose to pre-order and pickup in store as well.

If you miss that window, which honestly is your best shot, there are typically websites that show you who has stock of what, sometimes it's just a matter of driving a bit to get to the store that has them.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
OP - There is really no way of guaranteeing an Apple store pickup for a new phone on launch day as a walk-in.

Option 1: Just walk in, ask to buy a phone at full price and hope you get lucky.

Option 2: Stay up late on launch night, order it, schedule a delivery to a friend's U.S. address and hope it arrives by the time you visit.

This is the most accurate response.

You might be lucky and score one on launch day, but nothing is guaranteed.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hate to be "that guy" but I strolled into a T-Mobile store and bought an iPhone 6 on launch day in LA

On the topic though, why chance it, just pre-order it, the last 2 launches have had decent availability through the pre-order system and some even get delivered a day early. You can always choose to pre-order and pickup in store as well.

If you miss that window, which honestly is your best shot, there are typically websites that show you who has stock of what, sometimes it's just a matter of driving a bit to get to the store that has them.

Lucky you. :p

OP is taking the risk of walking into an Apple Store on launch day when he's here visiting the US. that's a mighty small window to try and get a new iPhone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You may or may not be able to buy sim free on launch day. Traditionally they have not had sim free models in launch day.

You can buy any of the others (Verizon, att, T-Mobile) and it will come unlocked as long as you pay in full. You will simply remove the pre installed sim and pop in your own.

I point this out because some people insist on buying sim free, don't ask why.

Do some research before buying about what different models there are. Usually there are a few models and one maybe be missing an LTE band or two compared to the other, or vice versa. We won't know this information until much closer to launch though. The current model that is "superior" is ATT as it as an additional band; as far as real world performance, I don't imagine this will make much of an actual difference for the life of the phone.
[doublepost=1464052204][/doublepost]

I believe you can reserve in store pickup too. You'll have to still do the Kate night thing, but they'll keep the phone for you for the day. You can then come in at any time that day and pay for it. Much safer bet than walking in fingers crossed.

The apple stores around here also have separate lines for reserved devices. Generally they're much shorter.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

We don't know. The best predictor of future behavior is relevant past behavior. When viewed in that light, it's safe to say that the "factory unlocked" model (aka SIM-free) will not be available on launch day. Some models will be unlocked for international use (T-Mobile and VZW, historically). AT&T will be locked but can be unlocked if you purchase it outright, but also requires AT&T service to get it unlocked...

Again, this is based on previous launch day behavior... but, we don't really know what will be available in 4-5 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.