iPhone 7 On Sale, should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bodonnell202, Apr 4, 2017.

?

Should I upgrade from an iPhone 6s to iPhone 7?

Poll closed Apr 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. bodonnell202 macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

A little background - I have an iPhone 6s (64 GB) which is running great and I have no complaints. I had no intention of upgrading to the iPhone 7 until my carrier put them on sale. I'm in Canada so the prices listed are in Canadian dollars.
    iPhone 7 (128 GB) regular price - $1030 ($749 US)
    iPhone 7 (128 GB) sale price - $660 (~$480 US), note this is $300 up front and a 24 month $15/month tab charge, but I can pay off the tab at any time.

I can recoup most of the cost of upgrading by selling my 6s which is still in near perfect condition and get the latest iPhone for very little cost. Would you do it?

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Nah man u are not feel that much of a difference remember always upgrade from S to S thats when you will notice the change dont from S to a standard iPhone or vice versa

3. its Dale macrumors 6502

I wouldnt upgrade from the 6S to the &. Especially not this late into the iPhone calendar year

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I really like the iPhone 7. It's not a massive upgrade over the 6s, but the stereo speakers and increased battery life is nice. If you're happy with your 6s, perhaps hold off until the iPhone 8, unless you find a steal of a price on the iPhone 7. As much as I like my iPhone 7, I would keep your 6s. Good luck with your decision.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

There's a huge difference between the 6S and 7. Absolutely upgrade!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Huge difference in what sense? There's a fairly good difference between 6 and 7, but between 6s and 7 it seems like there are less differences and/or they are less noticeable.

7. mjschabow macrumors 65816

I have the same dilemma. I'm curious how different the battery life is on the 7. That would be a big influencer.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Really?

So while everyone else is buying the newly redesigned iPhone you're saying wait another year?!

You must be part of the group of people who value the internals of the iPhone more than it's design. Which is fine, but I prefer updating when Apple changes the outward design of the phone.

Screw the internals. There's nothing I do that requires raw processing power, oodles of ram, cameras that can see tomorrow and flashy, blinky iOS 'features'.

10. mjschabow macrumors 65816

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not really opinions, but essentially anecdotal information based on different experiences, given that that's more or less what it's like for something like battery life.

12. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Oh I was being a bit funny. It's good reading. I'll look it over tonight.

In the meantime if there are any generalizations that sum it up, that's also appreciated. If it's a toss up, then maybe it's best to wait.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Between a 6s and and a 7? Seems like battery life is slightly better with a 7 on average (sometimes even just that it's a newer battery in a newer device plays into that as well).

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I disagree. The difference physically is minimal at best between both models. The only real major differences between both models is the stereo speakers, haptic home button and dual camera (Which is exclusive to the 7 Plus.)

There are other internal differences with the increased battery, but the other features primarily belong to the Plus with increased Ram. The iPhone 7 does have optical image stabilization with 4.7 model, which the 6s does not.

But over all, it's certainly not major. But the iPhone 7 has more incremental features, which does make an argument to make it more refined over the 6s.

15. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

It's not a bad deal. Plus you get an additional 64gb.

Do these carrier sales happen once or twice a year? When was the last one?

The ip8 is gonna cost an arm and a leg for you Canadians. What's the likihood of you getting the ip8?

16. mjschabow macrumors 65816

Thanks! Hmm. Torn. I am definitely going to get the iPhone Edition in fall too.

17. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Literally every part of the 7 is better than the 6S. I don't understand how that's not "major"?

18. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

"Literally" seems far fetched. I own both and there are some internal differences worth noting. But physically the iPhone is the same.

The 7 Plus has its clear advantages, but the 4.7 6s/7 are very similar internally, aside from the OIS and increased battery life by two hours. I think the biggest advantage over the 6s is the speed. But "Major" is an exaggeration, and I use the 6s Plus for a work Phone and 7 Plus as a personal line.

If you want to use the word "Major", then I think that term would apply more with a physical redesign, not just internal differences. Especially when you consider the similarities more than major differences between the smaller models.

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

OP, in my opinion, you answered your own question in your opening post. If you can't see the obvious in your own words, it is time to take a step back (as it were) and read over what you wrote again.

20. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

With the 7 you are going to lose the headphone jack if that means anything to you. The other differences have been identified in previous posts above. I bought a new 6s this year and have been happy with it, battery life has been satisfactory for me, but then I'm not a gamer or power user either. The two things that have made me kind of wish that I had opted for the 7 is the better camera and I actually kind of like the haptic home button on the 7 thinking that it would be more trouble free, but then I've never had any trouble with home buttons before either. You have stated that by selling your 6s you could wind up doing the upgrade at very little cost to you, so on one hand, why not? On the other hand your 6s seems to be serving you nicely, so maybe just sit tight and see what this falls new releases brings? Sorry, haven't really helped you much have I?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's a bump in the CPU/GPU, which is typical, although not as much as between non-S and S models, which is also typical. Seems like RAM is basically the same. The screen is mostly the same although the 7 has somewhat better colors. While the home button has been redesigned, TouchID is essentially the same between the two. The 7 has camera improvements, in addition to speaker improvements, and various other things. There's on the other hand the loss of the headphone jack, which can certainly be seen as negative for quite a few, or at the very least not really an improvement.

So, in actual literal sense, not every part is better, even if most are. Overall, it's not really that much different than a typical update, which certainly makes it overall as better, but not really something on the level of "huge" or "major" as much as it is more "typical". Now, going from a 6 or anything before that would certainly be more in the category of "huge" or "major".

22. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

I thought about doing the same thing and am also in Canada. I wanted to do it for the colour and to go to a regular sized iPhone. Ultimately I decided against it though.

23. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Yes. The fact that you are thinking about it means you want it, so just get it. You will get a phone that is less worrisome (thanks to water resistant) to use in real life.

24. bodonnell202, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

bodonnell202 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bodonnell202

It is a pretty good deal, hence why I'm considering it. I usually hold out for the S cycle but I think this S cycle is going to be a little wonky...
    --- Post Merged, Apr 4, 2017 ---
    I actually value internals more than design too and generally always go for the S cycle. The new designs are usually weak on everything else...
    The sales are random and sporadic to be honest, but it's rare to see a sale that good on a current generation iPhone up here. Usually it's only last generation (or older) iPhones that see any sort of substantial discount.

I'm certainly interested in the rumoured features of the iPhone 8/iPhone Edition/whatever they call it, but if the rumours about the price are true it will likely cost upwards of $1500 to get a 128 GB model up here and honestly I don't think any phone is worth that kind of money.
    Haha, you see my dilemma. On the one hand I don't really see the 7 as much of an upgrade to the 6s, but for the sale price (and what I could sell my 6s for), the cost to upgrade is not much and may be worth it for the extra storage, speed bump, better camera, better speakers and waterproofing. Loss of headphone jack makes no difference to me at all.

25. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

At this point, wait for the iPhone 7s/8.