iPhone 7 or iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Armen, Apr 27, 2016.

?

Which iPhone will you upgrade to?

Poll closed May 4, 2016.
  1. iPhone 7

8 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. iPhone 8

19 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Neither, I'm sticking to my current iPhone.

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. It's too early to tell

25 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

iPhone rumors have been flying lately.

Rumors of a 10 year Anniversary iPhone in 2017 with possible glass enclosure.
    Rumors of how the iPhone in 2016 will just be a incremental update to hold us until next year with a few visual changes, a spec bump and maybe 2 lens camera system.

If the rumors are true which iPhone would you upgrade to?

Personally, I'm on a iPhone 6+ and unless iOS 10 runs sluggish on it I may consider holding on to it until next year if the iPhone 7 presents itself as a "meh" update.

I'm curious to hear what your others thoughts are on this.

2. xixi.li macrumors regular

3. cola79 macrumors regular

I just bought the se and plan to use it as long as it last. I just use calls, whatsapp, email and very few apps plus camera now and then.

I might not install every iOS update to keep it fast.

A mobile phone is just a phone, it's nothing new or spectacular nowadays. The run after the "better phone" has ended for me and most people I know.

4. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

No anniversary nothing.just go ahead and buy iPhone 7 when it comes out

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a little too early for me. I'm on the non-s cycle, but I just bought the SE, so that changes everything.

Also a huge factor, that I now face that I never did before. Having to pay full price for a phone, before it was 200 dollars out of my pocket. Now I need to finance it, or pay full price. I think I may be less inclined to upgrade as often now that the full cost of the phone is on my shoulders.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'm using the iPhone 6 Plus.

I skipped the 's' model.

If the 7 does not tick my wants and needs boxes then I'll stick with this iPhone model,or check out the Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge.

7. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I have actually been thinking the same thing here. I think the US carriers in the rush to do away with 2 year contracts didn't think about the fact that since we now have to pay full non subsidized price for a phone, many will choose not to upgrade.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I had already written off "iPhone 7" this year. I can't imagine Apple coming up with any technology that would drive me to not just spend the $500-600 delta after selling my current iPhone.
    But the time, wiping, and restoring, etc. F that.

Looking back...
    4 added a mind blowing retina screen, cellular speed, and camera improvements.
    5 added more screen space, cellular speed, and camera improvements, cpu speed.
    6 added more screen space again, touchID, apple pay, wifi speed, and minor camera improvements.
    7...? ForceTouch isn't exciting. I don't crave more wifi, cellular speed or camera improvements. CPU speed has been good enough since the 5. 6 is pretty much more than good enough.

Nope, be taking a seat on the wait train this year.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They're trying to hide that fact with the financing options but even so, they've added activation fees, so it makes me less inclined to keep upgrading as often. We'll see, its fairly early in the process for me, since I have a new SE.

10. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

iPhone 7 wont have a drastic design change, it will look like 6s with removed antenna lines, dual camera and lightning jack. We should see a proper re-design with the next one - iPhone 8(10 year Anniversary).

11. Kristjan1988 macrumors regular

Kristjan1988

I have iPhone 5s, which I'm happy with.
    I'm thinking to go for iPhone 8s Plus.

12. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

In truth, it always was on your shoulders. You just didn't realize it because your cell provider included that cost in your wireless bill. It's mostly that people are actually "feeling" the cost now because it's more apparent. There's no contract subsidy to hide the cost.

13. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

Hoping the 2017 iPhone will have amoled screen. My 6s will stand in for me until then.

Meanwhile, Samsung continues to impress me by listening to their customers and fixing the s6's shortcomings...namely the return of the sdcard slot and waterproofing.

I'm really watching what they do next year...not impossible that I switch to android in 2 years time if Apple doesn't deliver the goods.

14. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

It's too early to tell, but if the 2016 iPhone will just be a 6s's', I will hang on to my 6 Plus a year longer.

I want my next iPhone to be a significant upgrade, not just incremental.

15. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

I'll get whatever's coming out next year. Quite happy with the 6S+ for now

16. leebroath macrumors 6502

leebroath

I'm quite happy with my 6S, and looking back, I wish I hadn't jumped from the 6 to the 6S, I should have just waited...won't be doing that again, 3D Touch (never used it and never will)

Nothing is exciting me this time round with all the rumours, yes it's a bit early to engage, but we should all know by now the camera will get an upgrade, the ram won't (as it took long enough for Apple to up from 1), new "faster" CPU, where we'll only see a marginal quickness, improved fingerprint tech to make it even snappier accessing your details, as if it's not fast enough...you can see where I'm going!

If next year there's a big chunk of added goodness, then I'll be hooked. An OLED screen would be just the icing on the cake with a sharper, brighter screen, especially when during the day when setting the max on your phone just doesn't cut it, oh and a much improved better battery life, that's another top contender from my wish list. I do t care how thin you make the phone let me enjoy it with a sufficient battery life.

I've been on the Apple train since the 3GS but it's now came to a stop for me, I'll wait to see what surprises they have for us in September but my gut instinct will be waiting for the 8 (or iPhone Pro mark II)

17. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

Yes! No thinner. I want them to work on reducing bezels some and improving battery life.

18. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

Way too early. Call me crazy, but I like to actually wait until products exist and there's information about them before I make purchasing decisions.

19. MTI macrumors 65816

Well, I heard that the iPhone 10 will be so thin and flexible it will actually only exist in two dimensions . . . must have . . .

20. cynics macrumors G3

You need the iChainMail Gauntlets to keep it from slicing your hands off its so thin. It's gonna be great!

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

I think even grade schooler know a piece of paper has thickness.

By the way, you spell MIT wrong.