iPhone 7 Plus 128GB - after 1 week - questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sparkie7, Nov 16, 2016.

1. sparkie7, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Have been using this and have a few questions if anyone can chime in..

1. Can the Lock sound be changed? I don't like the dull thud sound. And prefer the lock sound on my 6 plus

2. Screen – it's a little warmer (yellow cast) than my 6 plus which is cooler (light blue cast) — is this normal for the 7 Plus to have a warmer tint?

3. Volume sound seems barely audible eg, the keyboard clicks and less loud than on my 6 plus

4. I did a performance test using AnTuTu Benchmark v6.2 and got a score of 179873 — is this good?

5. The ear grill (next to the front facing camera) — is this just a ear speaker (for when making phone calls), or is there a mic in there as well? I read there is a speaker in there to create a stereo sound effect with speakers at the base of the phone hence best to put phone into landscape.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

1.) No

2). Yes, it's normal

3.) keyboard is quieter with new tone

4.) It's a faster iPhone than the 6s with the A10x Fusion. Much faster than your 6 Plus.

5.) The Ear Grill also serves as a speaker along side the bottom speaker for stereo speaker sound.

3. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

1. Really? Surely not everyone likes this one sound to choose from. ie, no choices

2. Ok.

3. Barely audible, and this typing sound can't be changed either?

4. I noticed that in the benchtest that I only had 133MB out of 3GB RAM free, my 6 Plus must page out at only 1GB RAM

5. But is there a mic next to the ear grill as well?

4. Relentless Power, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The lock sound is the way it is. It can't be changed. Turn it off if you don't like it. It's how Apple is.

The typing sound is much quieter as stated in previous threads. Turn up your volume slider if it bothers you.

I haven't reviewed the bench tests for the iPhone 7 Plus. Yes, it has 3 GB of Ram compared to the iPhone 6 Plus with 1 GB. It's considerably faster than the 6s. Check YouTube for real-time testing.

The Microphone is located in the bottom of the iPhone speaker grill. The Earpiece serves as secondary stereo speaker with a microphone.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, there is a microphone there, as well as a few other places: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203792

6. sparkie7, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Thanks. What is the "front microphone" there to do or pick up?

If it's to pick up your voice when say you're talking, isn't that what the "bottom microphone" is for?

--- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    Thanks. I hope Apple gives an option to choose the Lock sound in an iOS update. Even if they kept the lock sound from the 6+ I'd be o with it. Its just the lock sound on the 7+ sounds so 'clunky'

7. noobinator macrumors 601

You will never be able to change your lock sound without Jailbreaking. It's not the Apple Way. The mic could be for better sound capture when you are on speaker or when talking to Siri etc...Don't worry about the free RAM. Unused RAM is non utilized RAM.

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

What's the best way to go about jailbreaking my iphone?

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

There is no iOS 10 jailbreak available so far.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

It's almost December and no jailbreak, are the hackers on xmas holidays already?

11. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

You do realise when you purchase any apple product you agree the software / IOS will not be altered / tampered with. The software is not sold to you, you are only given permission to use it. You do not own the software, and the software is not your property.

12. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking isn't illegal. It doesn't void your warranty (although if you took it in for repair, Apple may refuse to service it until you restore the non-jailbroken OS). It just means that if you jailbreak your device, then Apple doesn't guarantee how it will behave, how secure it is, and can block you from any Apple service if they detect your OS has been tampered with. For the record, I don't recommend jailbreaking, but I'm not the boss of you.

Apple has put more attention on security lately, so jailbreaking is taking longer and longer with each iOS release.

As for the OP's questions. No, the keyboard and lock sound can not be customized. But the sounds are not part of the hardware, they are part of the OS. So it isn't an iPhone 6 vs iPhone 7 issue.