iPhone 7 Plus and surprise with SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leo90, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Leo90, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016

Leo90 macrumors 6502

Hello guys!

after hunting for an iPhone 7 Plus for so long since launch, I was lucky enough to find one in stock at the Apple Store in my city. I bought the 7+ and used intensively for a whole day. It was a very good experience but the size was still something that was bothering me and reminded of my 6s+, which I loved but still never got fully convinced by its large footprint. Everything was alright with my 7+ until I started recording 4K videos and noticed there was a heavy backgroung "hissing" noise in all of my videos, which shouldnt be there when I paid 920£ for a phone. Besides, the phone never felt faster than my old 6s+, actually for a moment it felt even slower. I went straight to the Apple Store in order to get a replacement due to hissing issue, but of course there was absolutely none in stock for a quick replacement. So buyer's remorse started kicking in and I decided to go for a full refund. But since I had sold my 6S+ to get the 7+, I still needed to buy a phone for daily usage, so I decided to buy an iPhone SE at the same store to experiece a drastic sort of change haha and you know what? I am absolutely loving my SE! It feels a tad faster than iPhone 7 and the portability is just brilliant even though screen is small. But even thr small screen is no issue for me as I am finding myself gaming, watching videos and browsing the web the same way I did with 6S+ but with the extra portability. So now I am thinking about sticking with my SE until Apple releases a redesigned Plus with less bezels and OLED screen.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else use more your SE than the Plus counterparts?

Cheers!

2. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I played with the SE at verizon today and I love it and the body style of the phone. I just wish it was bigger.

3. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I'll chime in here just because this is exactly what I've done. I had the 6s Plus back in March when Apple announced the SE. I decided to give my fiancée my Plus and buy the SE.

I went through April, May, June, July, August and some of September with the SE. I'll say this about the SE the battery life is absolutely amazing. It may even be better then the Plus models as far as battery life is concerned.

However when the 7 was announced I just knew that I wanted the iPhone 7 or 7 plus. I went to my carrier to get the iPhone 7 and while arguing with the about that "free" iPhone 7 deal I realized that really all I was missing was a bigger screen AGAIN!! I played with the iPhone 7 for a couple days and while my fiancée still had her 6s Plus I was thinking this phone is not that much better then the iPhone 6s. They look the same and everything.

I returned my iPhone 7 and went back to the SE. When going back to the SE I noticed how snappy it was and how good the battery life was, but the screen was so small.

I went into work the next day and a fellow co worker had switched carriers and bought a new iPhone 6s Plus from the new carrier he switched to. Low and Behold his other phone was an iPhone 6s Plus in silver. I said how much do you want for that phone and he said I'll give it to you for what I had to pay down on my new phone. So I got an iPhone 6s Plus for less than $200. Which is ONE HELLUVA DEAL and I couldn't pass it up.

I bought it and realized how much the bigger screen was missed. With all that said. The SE IS beautiful. The battery life is magnificent. The screen is low res, but the phone is fast and the design is iconic.

Long story short I just really missed my 6s Plus, but the SE IS great and while I will miss the design ... I am glad I got my screen back.

Now I have an iPhone SE for sale and have not thought again about the iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. This will be the first year since iPhone 4 that I'm not upgrading.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

You missed iPhone 4? Possibly my favorite release for its time, ever

Sold 6s+ have a 7+ and SE 9.3.3 jail broken

5. 2015Girl macrumors 6502

2015Girl

6. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Sorry I should have said since 3GS. The iPhone 4 was when I started upgrading yearly. That's my bad.

7. chakdey macrumors regular

I just stated using the 7+ after using the SE since June. My 6+ started giving me problems in June and traded in at the apple store for the SE. Now that I got the 7+ today, the 7+ does feel slower than the SE. Also the 7+ doesn't seem as bright as the SE. I'm sure i'll probably get used to the 7+. But I sort of do miss the SE.

8. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I did enjoy the huge 6+ screen, but never liked the bulk and fragility factor.

The SE is a perfect little phone. The smaller size is more discreet, and I love being able to use it *fully* one-handed. Definitely the "sleeper" phone of 2016

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The SE is a great iPhone. I sold mine and upgrade to the iPhone 7. The SE is solid, fast and extremely reliable. Miss it already. But wanted the extra screen space.

10. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

It is. It's called the 6s. :)

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

OP, I can't imagine going back to an SE. I used one for a week or so towards the end of last year and I could not wait to get my 6s Plus back. More power to you OP!!

12. zonazolazia macrumors member

zonazolazia

I sold my iPhone 6S to buy Galaxy S7 few months ago because of good review and want to give Android another chance by using it as my primary and only device till iPhone 7 come out.

After using S7 for a month, I realized I like iOS better, sold my S7, and bought iPhone SE while waiting for iPhone 7.

To my surprise, its a fantastic little device. The performance is on par with 6S and the battery life is better than both regular 6S and S7.

I'm planning on upgrading to regular iPhone 7 but I'm not in a hurry. Still enjoying my SE so much.

13. RIPstevejobs macrumors regular

SE is awesome. love the design ... way more than the 6/7. but im getting old i guess and the smaller screen is hurting my eyes. so i went 7.

14. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Just switched to a 64gb SE over a 6s and love it.

15. Leo90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your feedback! Haha so I'm definitely not crazy, SE is indeed a power house! :D I do miss a bigger screen but I am enjoying the portability. Like I said, I will stick to my SE until Apple comes up with a redesigned Plus model.

16. pbird, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

pbird macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my 5 to a se. I considered going for the 7+, but then I used my wife's 6+ for a week. Nah, not for me. The se is the perfect size for me to handle. And when I need a bigger screen, I prefer using my IPad.

17. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I have both a 7 Plus and SE and after a few days of solid use on my Plus I'm pretty convinced that the battery life on my SE is simply amazing. I never worry about leaving the house with low battery because I know that driving in the car would charge it pretty quick. I just don't have that same confidence in my 7 Plus. And for those that sneak surf while at work the SE was a lot more stealthy with one handed use. The Plus almost feels twice as heavy.
    I would really like to see split screen on the Plus model. That's the only feature I think that is missing. Otherwise both are good phones. But it would be nice if Apple completely redesigns the 4" model. I wouldn't even mind the same screen resolution.

18. nnoble, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

nnoble macrumors regular

I hope all this positive SE talk does not convince Apple to curtail any future SE type models. I went from 4 to 6S+ and often appreciate the screen space but I truly miss the overall experience of the smaller phone.

19. ryankul macrumors regular

The SE is an awesome phone and what I'm currently rocking. Got rid of a 6S+ to get it. Hoping Apple refreshes the SE with new build and better components while still keeping the price low and I'll prob get the next one too.

20. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Quit hyping up the SE's battery life. Magnificent? Haha. It's par for the course esp with its smaller display.

21. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

It's battery rating from apple is on par with 6s plus lte and wifi data wise.

I'd say it is really good.

22. 2015Girl macrumors 6502

2015Girl

I have the SE and what do you mean by good battery life?

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I had a 6Splus as my daily driver. It's a fantastic phone. But having gone through a spring hike and a summer of landscaping work trying to cope with keeping that huge phone on or near me at all times so my Apple Watch would work made me jump to an SE when we decided to get one for my daughter. I love it. I just wish there was more storage and waterproofing. That would be ideal for my purposes.

I keep tossing around the idea of getting an iPhone 7 for that reason but remain content to sit on the fence for now. The SE would still remain with me, regardless. I'd trade sims between it and an iPhone 7 if I were to get one.

I do still have a want and need for something roughly the size of a Plus but with pen/stylus functionality. So I went for a Note 7 on a new AT&T line and am very happy with its iteration of Android and its excellent photo and video capabilities. It has a surprisingly good DAC, too. If it were sturdier it could almost be my daily driver but I don't want to leave iOS entirely, either.

I think my SE and my Note7 make a great team. One in my pocket, one in my purse. They share a lot of data and all photos and music through common platforms like Google Photos and Apple Music.

24. Leo90 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am having 7 hours of intense usage everyday, that's pretty close to my old 6S Plus.

25. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

Isn't standby time a lot worse though?