iPhone 7 Plus... Apple direction?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TreRep, Oct 22, 2016.

1. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

I want to share with you my opinion...

There is a great debate between the regular 7 and the plus 7... which one to chose and why?

Do you really think this year the plus size will outsell the regular one ?

i think that Apple is making a clear choice.. the direction is to push customers on the plus size...
    this year the differences between the iPhone Plus and the regular are more consistent...

maybe apple want to prepare the customers for the future iPhone 8 dimensions?

maybe they want to accelerate the transition, saying that the plus number of shipments mean that people prefer larger screen (and mobiles)?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

3. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Add to the fact that the plus adds exclusive features and its clear. I bet thing would be more even sides if the 7 got all the features the plus has

4. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

The Plus variant has more to offer and the camera is the real seller. It really comes Down to size preference for the user.

5. TreRep thread starter macrumors regular

TreRep

it's not only size.... the plus as you say offers more...

so i say apple is pushing more and more to the plus...

6. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I think those who use their phone for taking photos often are pretty much forced to the plus. However, those who don't take photos often or at all can choose based on their size preference.

I'm not saying the camera in the 7 is bad, just that the 7 plus has more features.

7. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

That is if the consumer wants the Plus. Not everyone cares about the extra features if the iPhone is to large or uncomfortable to hold.

8. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Very true. I chose the 7 over the plus due to the size being much better for my active lifestyle.

9. The Unseen macrumors member

The Unseen

I use the camera very often but I chose the 7 because the 7+ is too big to be comfortable for everyday use. I have big hands but for me it is not only a question of one hand usage, also a matter of pocketability and I find the 7+ too bulky for the display dimensions. Even if the 7+ has a dual camera, the main sensor is the same and the 7 this year has the optical stabilization.
    I think that for semi pro usage, the 7+ is still inadequate, the user needs a classic camera (also a good compact camera behaves way better than whatever smartphone)

10. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

This is interesting because my hands are small and while I do type with both hands at times, I also have no problem with one hand.

The camera on the 7+ does have an edge over the 7 though. It's true both has stabilization (unlike 6s, where only the plus had it) but the 7+ has 2x optical zoom and can digital zoom up to 10x. The 7 doesn't have optical zoom and only 5x on digital zoom.

The dual lens allow for effects like bokeh, or portrait mode in apple speak.

It has the wide angle lens at 1.8 aperture & telephoto at 2.8 but the 7 only has a lens at 1.8...so both can take good low light photos.

The 7+ does have an extra gb of ram, so it's faster, as well as longer batter life.

I actually have a Leica that is 12mp and I haven't even used it much...I preferred my 6s and now, 7+.

11. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Have you taken any low light shots? I can guarantee you the Leica will blow the iPhone out of the water. That or any scene containing high dynamic range.

12. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

13. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

I have and it really depends...all of my night shots are taken with a 6s or 7... and they're pretty good...

on 6s...haven't had much chance with 7, what I have, I've posted in the photography thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

not only added features on the plus model but also better screen and battery life.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

7 Plus is already outselling the 7 Minus.

I was actually surprised how quickly my hand adjusted from "4.7-"5 to "5.5. My transition from "3.5-"3.7 to "4.7 felt much longer. So if someone asked me if I would choose between 7 or 7 Plus, the Plus. My relative is also letting me borrow the 6 Plus while on vacation and handling it seems very easy except the weight. The weight feels like a detriment but I carry my phones in a holster case anyway and do wear loose slacks for bigger pockets.

I think if the iPhone 8 trims the top and bottom bezels as rumored it will be, then the Plus model becomes an even easier choice with the better spec sheet. It is pretty obvious Apple is pushing the Plus models to us. More expensive, more money to them. It is obvious the 7 Plus is the premium flagship and the one often compared to other Android flagship like the "5.5 S7 edge and whatever flagship with that screen size or higher.

It seems laughable to compare a 750p "4.7 iPhone 7 to other flagships with 1080p / "5.5 as their minimum. The 7 Plus might be a little bulky but more people can eventually live it with a better spec sheet like that.

16. Cardsfan85 macrumors newbie

The 6 and 6s outsold the 6 Plus and 6s Plus by about a 3 to 1 margin. I could see the 7 Plus narrowing the gap some this year, but I don't see it outselling the 7.

17. valleian macrumors regular

valleian

Like some others have already said, this is most likely Apple moving customers toward the more expensive model (Plus model). Which means better profits for them. I also see the Plus as a (for a lack of a better term) "testing-ground" model for them. They can take advantage of the bigger real estate for things like OIS, and now more adventurous things like a dual camera and additional RAM.

By no means do I mean that the Plus model is a guinea pig model, but that Apple merely has the better battery capacity, the physical space to add stuff on, etc. with the Plus model, that they can more easily add these things on.

I doubt that Apple would ever fully abandon the 4.7" model, but slowly they will advance the Plus model over the 4.7" model. I foresee the 4.7" model obtaining higher RAM capacity in the future, but probably forever a step down from the Plus model going forward. One thing I never see Apple doing is giving the Plus model a radically different design than the 4.7" model. So in my opinion, that's a no-go on this rumored 5.8" 2017 model getting an exclusive design over the 4.7". Either they will both get the radical redesign (most likely), or neither will (highly unlikely).