iPhone 7 Plus Bad Standby Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whitlecj, Sep 17, 2017.

1. whitlecj macrumors regular

I lose about 4% per hour with my phone sitting idle and never turned on. Is this normal for a 7 plus? I recently switched back from android because I remembered the great battery life iOS always provided. I have not been that impressed thus far. I left my phone at 100% as a slept last night for 5.5 and my battery dropped to 80%.

I am running iOS 11 GM. When I first noticed the problem. I factory reset the device and set it up from scratch. Did not notice any change. 2 days ago, I did a DFU restore and reset the phone from scratch and it still seems no better. I do not appear to have any rogue apps and I have completely disabled background refresh and set my location services correctly.

One thing I have noticed is when trying to do a factory reset, I get the message in the picture if I am logged into my iCloud account. If I log out completely from iCloud I obviously don’t get the message. I feel like iCloud may be part of my problem and I have turned everything off in there that I can stand but I need to be logged in for Apple Pay and find my iPhone. This may not have anything to do with my drain but it was an oddity that I noticed.

Please let me know if this is about normal battery life or let me know if you have any suggestions on how to fix. Thanks. [Image](https://i.imgur.com/3lKBovn.jpg)

2. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

does sound like something is running, what does the battery usage breakdown say is using the most battery?

3. whitlecj thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing unusual in the battery stats. Background info is off. Location on only for a couple of apps. Terrible standby time and not improving. At this point I might as well go back to android.

4. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

do you use Twitter? contact Apple Support on twiiter they are super fast at replying, they will start a private message chat with you and they can remotely do a digonostics on your phone to see if something is wrong with the battery.

There is also free software to test battery capacity health that might be worth trying to

5. whitlecj thread starter macrumors regular

I have done an Apple chat and their test showed nothing wrong with the hardware. I have Genius Bar appointment tomorrow but I am fearful their test will reveal the same and they will not do anything to correct the issue. I am certain this is a hardware issue as my last iPhone 7 Plus prior to going to android got at least twice the battery life. I rarely lost 2% while in standby overnight.

6. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

download Lirum Info Lite from the app store it has a battery life section, see what it says

7. Fpb1980 macrumors regular

What do look for under in the app?

8. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

the 3 bars top left, Tools, Battery, Check Battery Internal Reports

9. whitlecj thread starter macrumors regular

My battery health says 103% EXCELLENT

10. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

ya my 2 day old phone is 103% also so doesnt look like battery , I am guessing you were right about icloud constantly syncing or something, hopeully the genius appointments figures it out

11. jdblas69 macrumors regular

The first 7 plus I got shortly after launch had the same problems. First couple of weeks it was fine then on standby and even when it was powered off I was losing lots of battery % overnight. Initially Apple chat advised the battery was showing OK but when I went for my Genius appt again the battery was OK but their diagnostics showed crashing and restarting although I never noticed this happening?? There were other posters that were having similar problems and thought it much have been a bad batch of early phones. I am pretty sure it is a hardware issue as I tried all other solutions, restore as new, restore from DFU, delete all apps etc, etc.

In the end they gave me a new phone without any hassle so chances are the same will happen to you.

12. whitlecj thread starter macrumors regular

Lets hope so. I will find out in a couple of hours.

13. whitlecj thread starter macrumors regular

Good news. Although they could find nothing wrong with my device, Apple replaced the phone. Being prepared with all of the details of everything I tried helped I believe. New phone seems much better already (knock on wood)