Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

scottlu13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Got the iPhone 7 Plus 128gb on launch.
-restored from my 6s backup was at 80% battery at 10pm, woke up & phone was completely dead.
-charged to 30% (took an hour) then left the house, trained for 2hrs, no phone usage, checked my phone was on 2%
-Restored the phone and set up as new with minimal aps (apples sugestion, they said diognostics of battery were fine) charged to 100%
-on 9% now, stats are:
usage: 2hrs 20m
standby: 4hrs 58m

Back of phone also gets really hot while charging.
This similar to other people's?

Kalvin00

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2004
Nope, mine is great.

What does the battery section say is eating the most battery?

Kalvin00

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2004
Is your phone on ios 10.0.1?

Definitely not normal for it to be that high with 1 minute of usage of the camera..

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
You might have a corrupted backup, so I'd suggest maybe factory resetting and setting it up as new. My friend had an issue with his iPad Mini back in the day where after restoring from a backup, his speaker would produce a really shrill screechy sound when a lock sound would play. Apple Store told him to factory reset and that solved the issue.

The other, less sure option would be to delete and try restoring from backup again. Maybe something went wrong last time and a new restore of your backup would help solve the issue.

Reactions: determined09

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You might have a corrupted backup, so I'd suggest maybe factory resetting and setting it up as new. My friend had an issue with his iPad Mini back in the day where after restoring from a backup, his speaker would produce a really shrill screechy sound when a lock sound would play. Apple Store told him to factory reset and that solved the issue.

The other, less sure option would be to delete and try restoring from backup again. Maybe something went wrong last time and a new restore of your backup would help solve the issue.
I have a quick question so when you set up as new, you don't download your past text, past photos and apps from either the back up from itunes or from icloud? Thank you

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I have a quick question so when you set up as new, you don't download your past text, past photos and apps from either the back up from itunes or from icloud? Thank you
Correct. It's basically a fresh start with no past data from old phones being brought over.

If you have your pictures uploaded in iCloud, they will automatically be downloaded to your phone again even if you set it up as new, so you don't have to worry about losing any photos. Apps can also be re-downloaded from the App Store, but, unless the data syncs to an outside server, your data (game progress, sign ins, etc.) won't be saved. Texts won't be saved or transferred when setting up as new either. All a "Set Up As New" does is basically lay a fresh groundwork that is free from old data (backups of old apps/games, unneeded system files) that may be causing problems.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
My battery on my 7 Plus sucks. I'm at 20% with 3-5 hours of usage. I put it on the charger for a few minutes so my usage info is gone. I'll get a better feel for it tomorrow. Then probably take it in Monday.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
My battery on my 7 Plus sucks. I'm at 20% with 3-5 hours of usage. I put it on the charger for a few minutes so my usage info is gone. I'll get a better feel for it tomorrow. Then probably take it in Monday.
That sucks! Good luck!

Apple2007

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2015
Goshen, CT
I read that battery life will temporarily be less while all the restores are happening and whatever else is occurring during setup, then it will be back to normal. So it may just be a one shot deal.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
I read that battery life will temporarily be less while all the restores are happening and whatever else is occurring during setup, then it will be back to normal. So it may just be a one shot deal.

I contacted Apple support and they had me do a few things. Long story short. 55 minutes of use, 3hrs 18min on standby, my battery is at 67%. I just did a erase all settings and restored. We'll see. Of course it's to late to contact Apple support again tonight. Oh well.

nemesys

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
I too hasn't been too impressed with the battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus with 128GB. I leave home in the morning at 100%, run mostly on cellular because I have problems connecting to the WiFi at work, and right now, after some browsing, reading in News, I'm already at 37%. Not what I was expecting. I upgraded to the latest version 10.1.1.

The phone reports 5hr22min of usage, 9hr18min of standby since the last full charge. The standby time sounds about right IF it includes usage, otherwise, I woke up at 6:45AM this morning and it's 3:57 right now, so that's far from the 20 hours or so that the phone would have been running since I unplugged it this morning. I also keep the screen brightness relatively low and have Bluetooth turned off. I was expecting to be able to go for a full day without having to charge it but I'm afraid when I get home tonight, I'll have to plug it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.