Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
im curious...I haven't seen much talk about iPhone 7 plus. Has it been fixed? I have iPhone 7 plus and it seems the material of the phone is sturdy. Anyone been the victim of the it?

I'm not talking about siting on it or putting the phone in the back pocket...but more like cargo pocket or wherever you put them.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It was never an issue with the iPhone 7 to begin with.
Like said above I believe they fixed it with the 6S release.
Even though I never had an issue with my old 6 Plus, the newer devices have added aluminum case strength.
But its still a phone, it you put enough force it will bend.

"If you flex it, it will bend." - the voices in Kevin Costner's head.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
bend gate was "corrected" with the release of the iPhone 6S. Apple added a slightly thicker aluminum casing to increase the stability of the iPhone. With normal use, the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7 will not bend.
I figured they added thicker aluminum.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
My 6+ never bent in the 2 years I had it. I figured it's because I don't abuse my phone.
Well my first 6 plus did until I got lithonic rugged case which pretty guaranteed no bending. I also haven't abused my iPhone but then again how could one abuse their iPhone?

Reactions: 44267547

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I also haven't abused my iPhone but then again how could one abuse their iPhone?

Many people abuse their phones. They do not take care of them and carelessly damage them.
I have a coworker that has 2 broken screens and banged up all the sides on his new iphone 7.
So far he already went through his 2 Applecare plus replacements.
He needs like a tripple beefed up Applecare warranty cause he probably could go through 6 replacements in under 2 years.:D

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Well my first 6 plus did until I got lithonic rugged case which pretty guaranteed no bending. I also haven't abused my iPhone but then again how could one abuse their iPhone?

I've seen quite a few people sit on their phones. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never considered this normal. Even when I had my Nokia 8210(a fairly tiny phone), I took it out of my pocket when I sat down.

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Apple went from the 6000 Series aluminum in the iPhone 6, to the 7000 Series aluminum for the 6s, which is the same aluminum used In the Apple Watch.
Which explains why there weren't much issue with ip 7 and p6s
[doublepost=1480206587][/doublepost]
I've seen quite a few people sit on their phones. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never considered this normal. Even when I had my Nokia 8210(a fairly tiny phone), I took it out of my pocket when I sat down.
Me too..I wouldn't consider that normal. I guess the new aluminum helped a lot.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I'm working with a guy tonight whose iPhone screen is cracked top bezel is cracked. Bottom right side bezel is gone exposing the home button innards. Lol.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I figured they added thicker aluminum.
Thicker, along with design changes, shape around openings. And most significantly a stronger alloy of aluminum used in aircraft. Added in the 6s and 6s+. Carried over to the 7 and 7+.

My son's and my iPhone 6+ never bent either. Of course we treated them as if they were phones and not blocks of steel. So that might have helped prevent bending them.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thicker, along with design changes, shape around openings. And most significantly a stronger alloy of aluminum used in aircraft. Added in the 6s and 6s+. Carried over to the 7 and 7+.

My son's and my iPhone 6+ never bent either. Of course we treated them as if they were phones and not blocks of steel. So that might have helped prevent bending them.
Don't presume to know how I treat my block of steel. It has only the finest accommodations and is lovingly doted upon both day and night.

Reactions: HEK and Applejuiced

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My 6+ was never visibly bent at all and still suffered from touch disease.

I take very good care of my phones. I'm glad at least Apple corrected the design flaw for the 6s and 7+

It wasn't so Much as a design flaw per se, as it was using a different aluminum composition to allow the 7000 series to be More robust in the 6s/7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It wasn't so Much as a design flaw per se, as it was using a different aluminum composition to allow the 7000 series to be More robust in the 6s/7.
Perhaps not a flaw per se, but not a good design/construction or material selection either given everything.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.