iPhone 7 plus camera brightness

fitgirl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
Hi I have a question regarding the iPhone 7 plus's camera, when I go take a picture it seems to look a bit dark, is there a way to adjust the brightness when taking a picture?

LRXSE7EN

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
Hi I have a question regarding the iPhone 7 plus's camera, when I go take a picture it seems to look a bit dark, is there a way to adjust the brightness when taking a picture?
did you try adjusting exposure?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
When you tap on the screen when you have the Camera application up, you will see a square box and a picture of a sun. You can adjust the exposure up and down to brighten the display. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for. Try that and see if this helps.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
When you tap on the screen when you have the Camera application up, you will see a square box and a picture of a sun.
"Press and hold" is a better way of describing it. Tapping auto-focuses, you need to hold for a second before you get the sun.

But yes, OP, this is what you want to do. If it's still too dark then you're unfortunately in an area too dark for the camera to handle.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
"Press and hold" is a better way of describing it. Tapping auto-focuses, you need to hold for a second before you get the sun.

But yes, OP, this is what you want to do. If it's still too dark then you're unfortunately in an area too dark for the camera to handle.
Tapping sets a spot area of focus AND exposure. You can still adjust exposure here.

Pressing and holding locks an area of focus and exposure.. You can adjust exposure independently here.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Tapping sets a spot area of focus AND exposure. You can still adjust exposure here.
You're correct, I had apparently forgotten about that method.

I just went and tried it and noticed that it still remains in auto mode after you adjust the exposure so I'm guessing I probably got annoyed by that and developed the muscle-memory of just skipping past that mode.

Reactions: Steve686

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
You're correct, I had apparently forgotten about that method.

I just went and tried it and noticed that it still remains in auto mode after you adjust the exposure so I'm guessing I probably got annoyed by that and developed the muscle-memory of just skipping past that mode.
It's great for recomposing shots when the subject isn't centered(75% of the pics I take).

Hopefully Apple will update the camera with an option to activate the screen shutter button like a true DSLR shutter. That is, light press and hold to focus one time, then recompose, and hard 3D press to take the picture. In this mode, the volume buttons could adjust exposure +\-

As it is now, pressing and holding the shutter buttons takes multiple pictures.