iPhone 7 plus camera brightness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fitgirl, Oct 12, 2016.

1. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Hi I have a question regarding the iPhone 7 plus's camera, when I go take a picture it seems to look a bit dark, is there a way to adjust the brightness when taking a picture?

2. LRXSE7EN macrumors member

did you try adjusting exposure?

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

When you tap on the screen when you have the Camera application up, you will see a square box and a picture of a sun. You can adjust the exposure up and down to brighten the display. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for. Try that and see if this helps.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

"Press and hold" is a better way of describing it. Tapping auto-focuses, you need to hold for a second before you get the sun.

But yes, OP, this is what you want to do. If it's still too dark then you're unfortunately in an area too dark for the camera to handle.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Tapping sets a spot area of focus AND exposure. You can still adjust exposure here.

Pressing and holding locks an area of focus and exposure.. You can adjust exposure independently here.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're correct, I had apparently forgotten about that method.

I just went and tried it and noticed that it still remains in auto mode after you adjust the exposure so I'm guessing I probably got annoyed by that and developed the muscle-memory of just skipping past that mode.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

It's great for recomposing shots when the subject isn't centered(75% of the pics I take).

Hopefully Apple will update the camera with an option to activate the screen shutter button like a true DSLR shutter. That is, light press and hold to focus one time, then recompose, and hard 3D press to take the picture. In this mode, the volume buttons could adjust exposure +\-

As it is now, pressing and holding the shutter buttons takes multiple pictures.