iPhone 7 Plus "camera jump" visible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crawltochina, Jun 22, 2017.

1. crawltochina macrumors member

I recently sold my 7 Plus Jet Black and bought a Product Red iPhone 7 Plus. I noticed that the switching from one camera to the other when zooming in is very visibile. The picture literally "jumps". Can you notice this on your iPhone 7 Plus? Or is it a defect?

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Not at all. I used my 7 Plus camera multiple times yesterday for various events, and the action was smooth zooming in both from pinch to zoom and using the digital zoom feature.

3. crawltochina thread starter macrumors member

It is also visible without recording or taking a photo by just zooming in and out in the camera app. I noticed the jump mainly when zooming out. It is important that the lighting is good so that the iPhone uses both cameras (in bad lighting conditions the iPhone only uses one camera and zooms in digitally). Does your iPhone have this visible jump mainly when zooming out?

4. crawltochina thread starter macrumors member

Could a few other forum members please quick test the zooming in and especially out in the camera app? I am not sure if it would make sense to contact apple because of this.

5. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

Yea mine does too. All of them that I have seen do

6. Newtons Apple, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Mine does the same.

Not an issue so far for me.

7. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

It's switching between two physically different sensors with different fixed focal length lenses. Of course it's going to "jump" when you optically zoom.

8. crawltochina thread starter macrumors member

I do understand the technical difficulties but i do not understand why zooming in is more or less flawless while zooming out makes a very visible jump. I swear my jet black iPhone 7 Plus i had before the red one was smooth in both ways. This is why i asked here.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I suggest that both did the same and maybe you did not notice. I did not notice until you posted this thread and I tried it. It is just the way the iPhone transitions from one sensor/lens to the other.

10. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

On launch day I had try of the 7 plus camera for the first time and I remember noticing this. No big deal though! :)