iPhone 7 Plus charging issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ex android dan, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ex android dan macrumors newbie

So, I've used the same exact charger and cord to charge my last few phones. Once in a while I have a problem where my phone stops charging.

For example, last night about 10:30 my phone as at 16% battery. I plugged it in and it started charging. I went to sleep. I woke up this morning (about 4:45), pulled my phone off the charger and went about my morning. Now here we are at 5:20 and I notice my battery is at 29%. It's obvious that it charged some, but not all the way and NOBODY touched it. It was still plugged in when I woke up this morning.

Anybody got any ideas what's going on?

2. Conan86 macrumors 6502

I've had the same issue sometimes with third party cables.. you may wanna try reverting to the original cable to see if the fault lies in the phone or the cable

3. winxdon macrumors newbie

May be the charger is dead? This happened to my 3GS charger I used it up until I had the 6 before it stopped working, I swapped with a new charger and it's all good

4. ex android dan thread starter macrumors newbie

What's weird is it works most of the time. Like 9 times out of 10. It's just once in a while it doesn't.

I swapped the cable I was using for an official Apple one. The cable I was using is an Amazon one that I bought because it's longer than the one Apple supplies. We will see if I have the issue with the new cord. So far so good, but it has only been one night

5. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

As long as it is an AmazonBasics cable (certified) it should work fine. But I've had the same experience as you using those cheap 6ft noname cables. I've had weird enough behavior with them I don't use them anymore. Wish cables were a bit cheaper. So, I toughed it out and bought several 6 ft powerline Anker cables and have been super happy with them for over a year now - they show no signs of wearing.

6. ex android dan thread starter macrumors newbie

It is an AmazonBasics cable...might be a couple years old.

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Oh weird, that should be certified then! I'd chalk it up to a defective cable. That sucks, those things (being certified) aren't cheap either. :(

Kinda strange though. If you're close to an Apple store maybe you can have them check to see if there are any problems with the charging mechanism in your phone? My nearest Apple Store is 1+ hour away so I tend to avoid going if I can help it.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I noticed the same a few days ago.
    Same plug and official wire I been using for years with no problems but the ipad mini after hours stopped charging and stayed at 40%.
    I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine after.
    Weird...

9. BigMcGuire, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Definitely not the cable then? How interesting.

10. noobinator macrumors 601

This is how things often go bad. They don't die all at once. They slowly degrade over time and will start charging some of the time. It's the cable or the brick most likely.

11. foxconn Suspended

This happened to me last week with my iPhone 7 plus as well. Everything original.

12. Mosaab Inc Suspended

Mosaab Inc

Verify if it’s the power adapter that has a problem

13. ex android dan thread starter macrumors newbie

The power adapter I use has two USB slots. One charges my watch, the other my phone. This has worked perfect for years. The watch has also charged completely the days that the phone hasn't.

14. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Agreed. Apple devices are particular with certain cables. I have had the best luck with Anker cables.