iPhone 7 Plus Home Button Ring Discoloring

dballard2017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
First, I am new to these forums and apologize if this question is in the wrong area or if it's already been discussed. I know there are forums about flaking from the matte black iPhone 7/7 Plus. I recently got an iPhone 7 Plus Matte Black from AT&T and have had it less than a week and the home button is discoloring. As seen in the photo attached. Has anyone else had this happen. For the record, it's not the angle that I'm looking at it because the discoloration is able to be seen from all angles.

Attachments

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
The home button to me is slightly more shiny than the screen. I think that's normal because it is different material. It looks normal to me.

Reactions: Sunny1990

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
First, I am new to these forums and apologize if this question is in the wrong area or if it's already been discussed. I know there are forums about flaking from the matte black iPhone 7/7 Plus. I recently got an iPhone 7 Plus Matte Black from AT&T and have had it less than a week and the home button is discoloring. As seen in the photo attached. Has anyone else had this happen. For the record, it's not the angle that I'm looking at it because the discoloration is able to be seen from all angles.
Honestly, I can't see any discoloration from your picture. It's doesn't show much. Also, the home button has a protective sapphire layer, which acts as a protectant from scratches for Touch ID. I have never heard of discoloration with the home button before.

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Nothing wrong with the color, negative discoloring. Enjoy your ip7, its really a great phone.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Only thing I could imagine discoloring would be the stainless steel ring around the sapphire button. If somehow the layer of black wore away, which I'm not sure is even possible without some serious abrasion. I assume the color is applied the same way as the space black stainless steel Apple Watch, which is very durable.

Reactions: Prozak0820

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Only thing I could imagine discoloring would be the stainless steel ring around the sapphire button. If somehow the layer of black wore away, which I'm not sure is even possible without some serious abrasion. I assume the color is applied the same way as the space black stainless steel Apple Watch, which is very durable.
There is no stainless ring to corrode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.