iPhone 7 Plus Home Button Ring Discoloring

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dballard2017, Mar 9, 2017.

1. dballard2017 macrumors newbie

First, I am new to these forums and apologize if this question is in the wrong area or if it's already been discussed. I know there are forums about flaking from the matte black iPhone 7/7 Plus. I recently got an iPhone 7 Plus Matte Black from AT&T and have had it less than a week and the home button is discoloring. As seen in the photo attached. Has anyone else had this happen. For the record, it's not the angle that I'm looking at it because the discoloration is able to be seen from all angles.

Attached Files:

2. Prozak0820 macrumors 6502

Prozak0820

Just looks like my 6 which always looked like that. Just the way sapphire reflects light. Cause it's also like this on my 5s and mini 4 just looked

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Nothing wrong with your button. It will not match the surrounding screen. The reflection in your image is just the bevel around the button.

Your phone is normal

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

The home button to me is slightly more shiny than the screen. I think that's normal because it is different material. It looks normal to me.

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Honestly, I can't see any discoloration from your picture. It's doesn't show much. Also, the home button has a protective sapphire layer, which acts as a protectant from scratches for Touch ID. I have never heard of discoloration with the home button before.

7. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Nothing wrong with the color, negative discoloring. Enjoy your ip7, its really a great phone.

8. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Only thing I could imagine discoloring would be the stainless steel ring around the sapphire button. If somehow the layer of black wore away, which I'm not sure is even possible without some serious abrasion. I assume the color is applied the same way as the space black stainless steel Apple Watch, which is very durable.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

There is no stainless ring to corrode.

10. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

First of all, I never said corrode. And you are incorrect - there is a stainless steel ring around the Touch ID sensor. What do you think the metal ring is made of?