iPhone 7 Plus home button/Touch ID not working(water damage)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shaunp0327, Oct 4, 2017.

1. shaunp0327 macrumors member

I was on vacation in Jamaica and of course I used my water resistance iPhone 7 in the beach and now my Touch ID keeps saying failed and my home button doesn’t work at all. I’m extremely mad because now I have to fix it to sell the phone for the X that I want to get. Anyone have any suggestions on where to get it fixed at? I haven’t went to Apple yet but I’m seeing that they may charge up to 350 to fix the phone looking for the cheapest possible solution though any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. mritech macrumors regular

Have Insurance? The deductible will be half that

3. shaunp0327 thread starter macrumors member

No insurance or Apple care! I been living on the edge with iPhones since the 3g model and now it has finally caught up to me lol

4. Minho macrumors regular

Minho

The iPhone 7 has a non-serviceable Home Button so you're kind of stuck with an Apple fix. You can replace the Home Button but it will be for cosmetic purposes only. Only Apple can replace and re-program the Home Button to make it work as both a button and Touch ID.

The other point is that most people assume that a water resistant device should, er...you know, resist water. However, that definition is a little murky and doesn't really mean much. Some iPhone 7's survive extended contact with water while others die for not much more than a splash.

5. shaunp0327 thread starter macrumors member

Damn this sucks. Well I’m going to take it to Apple on Friday and see what they can do for me hopefully I won’t have to pay 350 for a fix because that’s steep considering I’m going to buy the X but I know if I go to sell this phone like this I won’t get much unless I fix it.

6. Minho macrumors regular

Minho

You can always try the sob story...it might work ;>).

7. shaunp0327 thread starter macrumors member

Lol I was thinking about that or just telling them it stoped working after I updated to ios11

8. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

9. Audit13, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

There are moisture-sensitive stickers in the phone and I'm fairly sure that is something an apple employee would check.