Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRainz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
Considering the iPhone 7 plus has 3gb of ram, will it get more updates than the iPhone 7 standard edition ?

How many updates do you think the 7 plus will get?

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
I’d take the worst case scenario and just say iOS 15 would be the last set of updates for that phone lol

RedRainz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2020
I’d take the worst case scenario and just say iOS 15 would be the last set of updates for that phone lol
You think the 7 plus will drop updates with the 6s?
What about the 8 plus, how many updates?

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Considering the iPhone 7 plus has 3gb of ram, will it get more updates than the iPhone 7 standard edition ?

How many updates do you think the 7 plus will get?

iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will have same software support, regardless if iPhone 7 Plus has more memory than iPhone 7.

The worse case is iOS 16 is the last version for iPhone 7. This is entirely possible.

Or iOS 17 would be minor update, like iOS 12 was. So iPhone 7 will get iOS 17 update. But this is up in the air now.

However, it is highly depends on one devices: iPod touch. The currently iPod touch uses same chip, Apple A10 processor and it is still being sold. If by the time, we have iOS 17 and Apple still selling this iPod touch, iPhone 7 WILL get iOS 17. If however, Apple decided to kill of entire iPod touch line, then iPhone 7 will probably stuck at iOS 16.

iPhone 7 started with iOS 10, updated to iOS 11, iOS 12, iOS 13, iOS 14, iOS 15, iOS 16. So iPhone 7 has 7 software update. This is more or less the same as iPhone 6s Plus.

So it is safe to assume iPhone 7 will stop at iOS 16.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
You think the 7 plus will drop updates with the 6s?
What about the 8 plus, how many updates?

iOS 17 should be the last version. But no one knows. Everybody was predicting iPhone 13 will be last for iPhone 6s, yet Apple decide to push iOS 15 to iPhone 6s. So we never know

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box

take a look,

iPhone 6s/ 6s plus (awesome phones btw) seems to stand up pretty well with incoming iOS updates

were looking at pretty compatible phones here, so to say the iPhone 7 Plus (even more awesome phone) wouldn't have a decent chance in margin then that would be doubtful

In my guess, I would say you got two more years of iOS updates could be more

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will likely retain the same level of iOS support since they both have the same A10 processor. I think it’s possible the 7 and 7 plus could be phased out of support with the 6s when iOS 16 is released. Just speculating at this point, but I think the iPhone 8 and iPhone X will last at least through iOS 16 and possibly into iOS 17 since they both share the A11 chip and the iPhone X was a major redesign with the creation of the notch.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
We really don’t know.

Apple has used processor to exclude devices from getting updates. They have also used RAM as a limiting factor.

So it’s conceivable that iPhone 7 Plus receives more iOS updates than iPhone 7. A similar situation will happen with iPhone 8 and iPhone X. I don’t think Apple will cut both off at the same time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.