iPhone 7 Plus Intel inside ? I sure hope so. How to tell.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealAlex, Sep 17, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/16/iphone-7-teardown-intel-inside/

As I Posted earlier Apple ran out of 7 Plus yesterday. But reading this article above just put everything on Hold for me Until there is a way to determine if your iPhone 7 or 7 Plus has an Intel Modem or a Qualcomm modem.

As we all know the Modem is the most important component in any cellphone. Now the jury is still out but my speculation is this may end up like the TSMC vs. Samsung made CPUs that showed the ones by TSMC were up to 3% faster.

So let's all pool together what we know Any and all help is appreciated.

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Theoretically, QUALCOMM chips are capable of faster speeds than INTEL. There's an article about that.

QUALCOMM chips support both CDMA and GSM bands, while INTEL only GSM.

3. benboy12 macrumors regular

Wouldn't this mean that a Verizon or Sprint phone would have to have a QUALCOMM modem since they operate on a CDMA band for voice still (I think?)?

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Yes, Verizon/Sprint iPhones still do have QUALCOMM inside.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Easy to tell. If you buy the model that supports CDMA, you have Qualcomm. Otherwise you have Intel.

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Is there any evidence Intel is any better than Qualcomm performance wise?

7. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

None Yet Until Anandtech and other more serious reviewers do mor eindepth reviews besides Technobuffalo and CNET and other so called Reviews on Youtube that consists of a 5 minutes tour of Published specs and are worthless.

they need to check Signal strength and noise and radiation put that takes serious equipment.

8. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

I believe the Japanese models have the CDMA radio as well. Not sure about the Korean ones. Basically any country that has an underlying CDMA network.
    Also Intel supposedly manufactured their modem with the TSMC 16nm process anyway.
    So it won't be 14nm vs 16nm like last year.

9. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/mobile-communications/xmm-7360-brief.html

Thats the Intel Modem in at&t and Tmobile US Based iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models hence No CDMA so you are technically buying a handicapped device for the same price. I am calling it now Class Action Lawsuit.

On a side note the Sprint and Verizon use Qualcomms X12 Modem which is 4x4 MIMO vs Intels 3x3 MIMO antennas this may explain why some people are saying their 6s unit gets better signal than their iPhone 7 or 7 Plus.

Now, it may turn out that Intels first ever GSM Modem might be great but the Specs dont back that up.

(Note: Qualcomms X12 Modem is the same part used in Samsung's Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, Qualcomms supplies them to both Apple and Samsung)

10. kevink2 macrumors 65816

At least part of the Chinese market. Not due to the CDMA, but TD-SCDMA

Some people have posted speed tests showing the qualcomm model faster. But one off tests can vary significantly even at the same site.

11. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

3x3 vs 4x4 means nothing. The extra on the Qualcomm is most likely a CDMA antenna so not like it would benefit GSM.