Iphone 7 Plus - JB 128GB Impressions from a tech geek

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lch6257, Sep 26, 2016.

1. lch6257 macrumors member

I looked at some reviews on the inter webs and see a lot of mixed reactions to the iPhone 7 plus. Many feel it is not groundbreaking, earth shattering, etc, etc. I wanted to offer my $.02 as an iPhone 6 Plus early adopter updating to a iPhone 7 Plus. I activated my new phone two days ago and here are my thoughts.

1. It feels heavier, just a touch. It is not significant.
    2. The new color is nice, I went with Jet Black. I like it.
    3. The feature set from iPhone 6s (force touch) is really nice, I like the pop and zoom email, hyperlinks, apps and this is a nice new feature that was no available on iPhone 6.
    4. The waterproofing is nice as I took my phone out on the Sea Doo yesterday and did not put it in the waterproof box. This was great as I was able to easily and quickly use the maps function as I was exploring some interesting waterways. I did not get it wet, but was not worried about splashing for a change.
    5. The electronic home button. I love the feel of it, for me it just feels right. It makes the phone feel more robust and coupled with the new cpu, it is SUPER snappy.
    6. The biggest thing in this new phone is the power. This phone is an absolute powerhouse. It is as fast as my macbook now. It is just SUPER robust in how it responds to EVERYTHING I ask it to do. No more waiting on anything. Web pages load way faster, apps open instantly, force touch features fire off instantly and with vigor. For me, this was worth the update alone.
    7. Camera. very noticeably handles low light situations much better. Also love the quality of these pics and from the iPhone 6s feature set, the live photos are a neat novelty.
    8. Battery life. very good so far, but a new battery is always better than an older one.I used it all day yesterday and only got under 50%, but that was a Sunday so much less demand for power.

There are many more things that couple with IOS 10 that really make this phone shine. For power users and those that are less concerned with cosmetics and more interested in performance and how well their phone works under load....this is the phone you have been looking for....STRONGLY recommend if coming from anything less than a 6S....

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I went with the matte black 7+ due to the fact that it's just going to be in a case and there was an additional 2-3 week wait for the jet black model.

Hopefully it gets here sooner than the estimated date in November.

Either way, it should be a good upgrade from my 6+.

3. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

I've had similar observations in regards to the low light camera performance. I've been quite impressed with how unprocessed and bright my photos look in non-ideal lighting conditions. I too ordered the Jet Black, and I love it. I don't use a case, and the phone still look pristine - granted, I've only had it for a week.

4. lch6257 thread starter macrumors member

My 7+ phone was originally due Oct 4-10 and I received and activated it on Sept 24. I placed my order by 12:10AM PST on order date. I would guess that you will see your phone with a November date at least 2-3 weeks sooner if not even earlier than that. Coming from a 6+, you will love the upgrade, well worth it IMHO.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2016 ---
    I can't wait to see what the portrait mode photos are like once that update goes GA. I think the iPhone 7+ is a huge sleeper of a phone, being one that may not be as well received as others, but under the covers offers a lot of bang for the buck. That is my opinion. I do not do every upgrade, I have never owned any S model iPhone.

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I can certainly hope it shows up several weeks earlier, but I didn't order from Apple due to the fact that I'm in the process of switching from AT&T to Verizon. I'm not sure how Verizon does when it comes to shipping things early(AT&T was pretty bad at it, so I'm not expecting much).