iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black damaged from the Box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anthonykap, Oct 3, 2016.

1. anthonykap macrumors member

anthonykap

Hi all,

So after almost a month of waiting for my new iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black to arrive, it was delivered today and unfortunately, it appears to be damaged. On the lower right hand part of the device, there seems to be a scratch/dent on the aluminium casing where it meets the screen. Now, as the model is Jet Black, this chip is highly visible as it is silver in colour. Of course, once in its clear case, it is not visible. Its not a huge problem but there is minor damage. Its upsetting because I paid £820 for this device and I expect it to be perfect if im honest. If I had to guess whats happened, Id say that when the screen was being fitted in manufacture, it has clipped the edge of the casing and chipped away at the jet black finish exposing the natural silver colour of aluminium.

After 3 calls with Apple, the best I could get out of them was a replacement device with an apology but I would have to send them back this unit first before they would dispatch the replacement. With the Jet Black being so limited, the replacement order has a delivery date of 6th of December. One of the reps assured me that I would be prioritised and that the replacement will be with me a lot sooner. He even said a week or two max. However, after speaking to another rep, she couldn't give me a time frame at all and said there was a chance it may not arrive for another 5/6 weeks even though I would be given priority. I have already sold my 6S so I would be without a phone.

Im sure there is a better solution than this. I was just wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar to this with a previous device from Apple and how it was rectified. Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated. On a more positive note, the jet black does look amazing!!

Thanks

2. max.ine macrumors regular

Jet Black devices are prone to showing scratching and abuse, and Apple has been advertising the colour with a disclaimer since the day it was revealed.

You may want to ask for the replacement iPhone in another colour if signs of wear and tear tend to bug you.

3. macfacts macrumors 68020

macfacts

Seems like Apple can provide a better experience if they sent out the replacement first with a prepaid return label.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

In sure this isn't what you want to hear, but your options are dealing with it or sending it backcourt and waiting unless you get lucky at a brick and mortar Apple Store.

I personally wouldn't keep it. Not when paying full price for andanaged item. Opinions will differ.

5. Chargr macrumors regular

Chargr

Refund, and get Matte black? Unless you want to wait

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What does this have to do with the OP's unit arriving damaged out of the box? People have gotten factory damaged units in all the colors, including gold and silver.

Unlike the Black and Slate iPhone 5 fiasco where nearly all units arrived from factory full of nicks and scratches, the vast majority of JB and matte Black units have arrived undamaged out of the box.

The OP simply got a random factory damaged one.

7. anthonykap thread starter macrumors member

anthonykap

Definitely want the jet black over the matte black. They had arranged a replacement for me and a UPS pickup for tomorrow but I just cancelled that. Might try my luck in a store and see if they can possibly hold a JB for me if they ever get one as a replacement. I highly doubt they'll be able to though.

I'll also try call Apple Care again tomorrow and try and get more out of them. I'm sure they're able to replace the phone for me without me having to send this back first. I would even pay a deposit which would then be refunded later once all sorted.

8. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

This seems like a reasonable solution. I hope they will let you pay a deposit to allow cross-shipping. These aren't normal gadgets and it isn't really reasonable to go without a cell phone for weeks.

9. anthonykap thread starter macrumors member

anthonykap

It definitely seems reasonable to me. Hopefully I'll get somewhere with it tomorrow. For now, I'm defo loving the Plus!

10. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

i talked to an employee at an apple store, and he said, with the wait times for the jb +, they won't 'work with you' so you're not without a phone for possibly weeks

he said i could buy an SE to use while i wait, then return it - gah

stinks

11. Gzalito macrumors member

seems like a reasonable solution since your phone is fully functional, its only a cosmetic fault. You can wait.

12. anthonykap thread starter macrumors member

anthonykap

That sucks. Crazy how its been available to order for almost a month now and still the stock shortage continues

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would return it. It's not acceptable. Apple will rectify the issue for you. It just might require some additional patience.