Iphone 7 Plus: Lens flare issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dave121, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Dave121 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just received my replacement unit from Apple. After taking several photos, I noticed some anomalies aside from the glowing orbs.

IMG_0006.JPG

The picture above was taken by the front camera. I didn't notice any vertical lines in previously taken photos on my old phone. Maybe I didn't pay too much attention but this is really bugging me right now.

The following photos were taken by the rear camera.
    IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    You can see clearly how the light gets warped around the second lamp (counting from the right).

Does anyone have the same issues?

2. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I have a replacement iPhone 6s which is doing exactly the same thing. My previous one didn't do this. I also noticed my friends iPhone 7 does this too. There must be variations on lens quality. It's really annoying as I don't want to exchange again in case I get something worse. Btw. I noticed daytime shots are much better though.

3. Dave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Do you get those vertical lines around the light source as well, if you hold the front camera againt the light?
    Btw. they seem to rotate with your phone.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

when taking pictures of lights, even on dslr's this can still happen. nothing is wrong with your camera.

5. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Do you mean the 2nd pic? If so that is what mine suffers with mostly. I'll post a pic.

6. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

[​IMG]

You can see the purple dome with the lens reflection, which moves about if I move the camera. Nighttime shots outside against street lights are the worse though.

I came from a Samsung galaxy s5 which didint do this

7. Dave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Simacca No, I meant the first one which was captured by the front camera.
    @lakaiordie Could you please explain the phenomenon in the first picture as well? It really ruins the whole photo.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

it can depend on the type of lighting also, like fluorescent lights, led's, incandescent bulbs. these can all effect how lens flair shows up. even just the sun. its just the lens in the camera.

in the first picture. its mostly the angle the picture was taken at. even on a dslr. this is hard to fix. it also depends on the lens (since you can change them on a dslr) and the aperture. but on a iPhone. you really can't change those 2 things. not much you can do other than alter the angle of the shot.

9. Dave121 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just took a picture with my macbook. It has lens flare as well, though minus the vertical lines. Could anyone take a picture with the front facing camera while holding it against a bright light?
    Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-03 um 17.08.54.jpg

10. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

any lens or camera this will happen to in direct light. the lights are directly pointing at the lens. what else do you think is going to happen?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2016 ---
    in photography this is a bad thing, in professional shoots they have lights on the side, and reflectors also. light pointed directly at the lens is a bad thing, it ruins the photo. my advice is to avoid direct lighting when its pointed at the camera. theres really no way around this.

11. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

This happens on my Sony slr, but doesn't happen on all models of iPhone. Some are worse than others.

12. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

depends what model of iPhone, some have different apertures and mp.

13. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I meant my replacement 6s is worse. Lense flare was nowhere nearly as bad. My friends 7 also has bad lens flare compared to my last 6s.

14. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

[​IMG]

This is from the front cam on my 6s. You can still see the purple dome reflection underneath.

15. brandscill macrumors 6502

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would say normal. Each lens will have it own characteristics when pointed at a light source. The 7 is different from the 6

17. Cianna6 macrumors newbie

Me too my iPhone 7 is doing this but I don't know whaT to do about it

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Clean the lens? I get that issue when the lens is dirty.