iPhone 7 plus rear camera busted

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hershd, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Hershd macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

Received my iPhone 7 plus yesterday and after setting it up I thought of giving the rear camera a try; only to see that upon launching the application the display does not show what the camera should see. It is just blank / black. The bar with HDR, Live Photos etc shows up but nothing else.

Tried other applications and even Apple Pay setup so as to check if the rear module would kick in but it automatically rolls on to the front camera.

Reset the phone completely and set it up as new but with the same results.

So I am assuming that the rear camera is busted / hardware defect unless someone else has come across such issue and can suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance

Hersh

2. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

keep in mind apple always have stock for replacement warranty exchanges whether it be rose gold, black, silver, jet black, gold. in plus or regular sizes. go to apple make appointment and they will give you new device.

3. Alexrat1996 macrumors 68030

They don't have replacement stock

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup. Some hardware issue. Swap it out. Apple will take care of you.

The only issue you may run into is your exact device being in stock for a replacement.

5. Hershd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have made a reservation which at the earliest is for Saturday next week. Will see if they will entertain a walk-in.

Hope they have replacements in stock as this was my wife's anniversary gift.

Oh well. **** happens.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I would call support. It's unacceptable that you have to wait a week. Escalate up the chain until you get satisfaction.

7. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Hope you get this fixed. Did you update to 10.0.1? If your appointment is that far out, I would either call as others have said or even just walk in as mentioned to, they will not deny you service.

8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I would think under the circumstances they would allow a walk in visit. Whether they have a replacement model this close to launch is another matter. But if they don't, I'm sure they would hold one for you from their next shipment.

Please keep us updated.

9. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

purchase applecare+, call in saying the problem and they send you a new one immediately if your credit is good then you send back the bad one. If speak to them correctly and get the correct rep you will have a phone quick like.

10. Hershd thread starter macrumors newbie

Called apple care and they said to call back in a bit when the store close to my house opens.

If they have one in stock then they will have the store hold it for me to swap it today itself. Otherwise I will just have to wait for the next shipment to arrive.

Now as I am in Canada and here they seem to be releasing a very limited number of phones to the stores each day so I just might get lucky.

A will call back in half an hour and get an update on the stock from them.

11. Hershd thread starter macrumors newbie

So here is an update:

After speaking to the rep over the phone I was told I can go in today and they will hold a phone for me. Told the rep that I will be there by 3:00 pm.

Reached the Apple Store at 2:30 pm only to be made to wait for an hour and a half and then be advised that they don't have any replacement phones or a new phone to swap with.

They can order the camera module and repair it once thy get it in 5-7 business days. Or I can order a new phone and have it shipped. Once I receive the new phone then I can return this one (an exception to their return policy keeping in mind the current shipping times).

Called the customer service again and they will expedite a new phone to me that was after I gave them a piece of my mind and patience.

Expect to see a tracking number tomorrow.

And the wait beings once again.....

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Honestly though, what do you expect? It's the first week of launch and they're in high demand. This was probably the best customer service you could ever get given the circumstances. I have a Samsung phone now and I shudder to think what to do if I ever experience any issues. Apple still has the customer service part down pat.

13. Hershd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have waited before so waiting is not an issue. It is the unnecessary running around and communication gaps between Apple's customer service is what I did not appreciate.

That could have been avoided if they would have been upfront with me right from the very first time when I initiated my phone calls today.

But that's okay. It's in the past. Only a phone. No lives lost.

14. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I'm glad you didn't accept the repair option. Now that carrier subsidies are gone, we pay a small fortune for these devices. There's no reason to repair a new device. Good to hear that Apple will send you a new one.

15. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Exactly. Perfectly fine expectations here. He didn't expect an immediate replacement, or special treatment (unlike some people in the carrier preorder threads), but it is completely fair and logical to expect simple transparency. If a phone Rep says one thing, the store should honor it.

Now, from my experience, Apple is good even in this regard. Just bad luck bud, but like you said, it could be worse.

16. Hershd thread starter macrumors newbie

As Apple has not rolled on their devices to Wind Mobile in Canada so I paid the full unsubsidized price for the phone. So I am okay with the wait as long as I get a new device and not a repaired one.