iphone 7 plus takes soft images in low light? ( fixed in ios 11?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chad.petree, Sep 16, 2017.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

I've been taking a lot of pictures with my iphone 7 plus lately and I can't help but notice that they turn out very soft :/ I'm not taking just about pictures at night, after the sun star going down the quality of the pictures decreasing dramatically :/ at 6 pm / indoor pictures ( even at daytime) , I've read that supposedly apple compresses the jpg too much and that they didn't fix because they were going to make the switch to a new format on ios 11, is there any truth to this ? Have you experienced a similar situation with your iphone 7 ? If has installing ios 11 improved it?

2. Nathan King macrumors regular

Nathan King

Make sure you hold the phone very still. It will attempt to use a slow shutter speed in low light. Any movement will cause softness.

3. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

Isnt this exactly the reason that the phone has ois ? To prevent such as scenario from happening if you don't hold the phone completely still :/ :(

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Pretty hard for such a small lens and sensor to make good low light images. The sensor sensitizing would be cranked up to max and that always creates noise in images. Apple then uses noise reduction to reduce the noise causing blurring and softness.

This is why my DSLR's sensor is so large with large objective lenses to capture lots of light, negating the need for noise reduction because there is so little noise to deal with.

Phones maker have to compromise.

5. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to start a war but for example the s8 takes a lot better night pictures in my opinion , so what's stopping apple from achieving such results ?

6. Nathan King macrumors regular

Nathan King

Sensor technology has improved, allowing better performance without a size increase, but a larger sensor of the same design will always give better results. The new iPhones easily beat many DSLRs from several years ago.

Also, image stabilization helps with slow shutter speeds but will not help if anything in the frame is moving slightly. As previously mentioned, noise removal algorithms always soften the image a bit as well. I have no e xperience with the S8, but it could be Samsung is using a better noise reduction algorithm or a sensor from a different manufacturer with a differing architecture.