iPhone X Iphone 7 Plus to Iphone XS MAX

BellaVitaBK

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
New York
Hopefully someone didn't create a similar thread..

I currently have a 7 Plus and I'm wondering whoever upgraded to the X, was it difficult to get used to being that there was no home button? How did you guys adjust?

Just curious o_O

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Hopefully someone didn't create a similar thread..

I currently have a 7 Plus and I'm wondering whoever upgraded to the X, was it difficult to get used to being that there was no home button? How did you guys adjust?

Just curious o_O
It’s very very easy. It’s not like going from a motercycle to car. Lol After a day you will be like, what home button. Switching between apps is the easiest

BellaVitaBK

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2018
New York
It’s very very easy. It’s not like going from a motercycle to car. Lol After a day you will be like, what home button. Switching between apps is the easiest
LOL! I never got the X for two reasons: 1) It was too small 2) The whole home button being gone was a no for me. Now I have to adjust. lol.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
I have an 8+ and my wife has the X. We don’t love FID.. but as far as the controls.. they are much better on the X IMO. Swipe gestures by far better than the home button.

Reactions: BellaVitaBK

EugW

macrumors G3
Jun 18, 2017
Food for thought:

I just installed iOS 12 on my iPhone 7 Plus, and now it feels like whole new phone. Very fast. I'm keeping my 7 Plus at least one more year. Maybe two even.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
PVB, Florida
Food for thought:

I just installed iOS 12 on my iPhone 7 Plus, and now it feels like whole new phone. Very fast. I'm keeping my 7 Plus at least one more year. Maybe two even.
Yes. iOS 12 is very nice. I’ve been on beta so been running for a while now. Very happy with it. It does raise the question why the rush to upgrade.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Yes. iOS 12 is very nice. I’ve been on beta so been running for a while now. Very happy with it. It does raise the question why the rush to upgrade.
I think many people will be saying that

Ironman1964

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
One question I have about no home button and Face ID. Quite often I’m in a spot where I’m not looking at my phone and can just get on it by pushing the button, how does that work now?

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Food for thought:

Noooo! You were so set on the Xr lol
[doublepost=1537227804][/doublepost]
One question I have about no home button and Face ID. Quite often I’m in a spot where I’m not looking at my phone and can just get on it by pushing the button, how does that work now?
It doesn't. It has to read your face in some fashion. So you would still have to tip the phone, in portrait mind you because it doesn't read landscape, towards your face. Its one of the reasons I like touchID over FaceID

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
I’m also going from a 7+ to the XS max.
I love Touch ID but I’m hoping after getting used to it, Face ID works better for me. Most of the work day I have vinyl gloves on and have to type in my passcode anyway so with any luck Face ID works better for me. We’ll see. I’m pretty excited for Friday.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
I'm doing the exact same thing. I was definitely on the fence. But I was looking at the Apple store app at like 2am on Saturday morning, and one of the Apple stores that was close to me had a 256gb Gold available for pickup on release day. Figure I'll give it a shot with the 14 day return policy.

I messed around with an X at the Apple store when it released for a good thirty minutes. Being able to swipe on the home button to go between previous apps was a huge game changer to me. So much easier than having to double tap the home button!

Reactions: B's iPhone

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I'm doing the exact same thing. I was definitely on the fence. But I was looking at the Apple store app at like 2am on Saturday morning, and one of the Apple stores that was close to me had a 256gb Gold available for pickup on release day. Figure I'll give it a shot with the 14 day return policy.

I messed around with an X at the Apple store when it released for a good thirty minutes. Being able to swipe on the home button to go between previous apps was a huge game changer to me. So much easier than having to double tap the home button!
My take: once you get used to not having a home button, having to go back to a button feels incredibly archaic. Face ID has its kinks to work out, but overall it's great. The authentication process just feels so seamless most of the time. I hope we never have to go back to fingerprint readers.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
My take: once you get used to not having a home button, having to go back to a button feels incredibly archaic. Face ID has its kinks to work out, but overall it's great. The authentication process just feels so seamless most of the time. I hope we never have to go back to fingerprint readers.
I'm very interested to see if Apple will put an in screen fingerprint reader in once that tech has reached a mature enough point. I don't see it happening with there already being Faceid. But I guess we'll have to wait and see

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
I'm very interested to see if Apple will put an in screen fingerprint reader in once that tech has reached a mature enough point. I don't see it happening with there already being Faceid. But I guess we'll have to wait and see
I would love to see the same thing but like you said, it will probably never happen.
I really like Touch ID and it’ll feel weird moving on from it.

Reactions: csi24

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
I would love to see the same thing but like you said, it will probably never happen.
I really like Touch ID and it’ll feel weird moving on from it.
It's definitely going to feel weird on Friday. I'm so used to just throwing my thumb on the home button and having it unlocked as I'm picking up the phone

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Inscreen fingerprint sensor would be sweet. I love FaceID tho. When using my wife’s 7plus I forget that I have to press the home button to exit apps.

havenyoung

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
I'm also upgrading from 7 plus to XS Max.
I came from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 plus to XS Max. Every upgrade has a screen size increment.
I'm pretty excited to see how I'll adapt this time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.